Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2008 2:00 PM by puzzleman

Is that all for you, today?

designer Tracker
      If you own a retail store or boutique...I hope you or your staff won't please, please, please say this to a customer ready to check out and purchase...."Is that all for you today"?

To me, this is a horrid statement and makes me feel so terrible like I am not buying enough and it's almost a feeling like I am wasting someone's time because I don't have my arms full and full of goodies and really putting a dent into my credit card.

"Yes", this is all for me I say....thinking, "Sorry this $52.00 shirt is not enough:.

Does anyone else agree or disagree or have any comments?
        • Re: Is that all for you, today?
          amspcs Ranger
          I really haven't given it that much thought, but I guess I can see your point. While 'is that all for you today' probably isn't the best thought out comment for the customer, it cerainly beats being ignored with glassy-eyed indifference which I have experienced often--my all-time least favorite experience involved a cashier engaged in a phone conversation as she checked me out, she barely looked at me much less acknowledged my presence.

Better alternatives of things to say to a customer:
          :
          Thanks for coming in, please come back.
          Did you find everything you were looking for?
          Enjoy your (whatever they bought). Have a nice day!

But I guess the bottom lines is: I wish ALL my troubles were as trivial as check out clerks who say
          silly things.

B Godofsky
          www.MerchantServices-help.com

LUCKIEST Guide
            Is that all for you, today

I selected my bagel and stepped in line behind a woman,
            who had three items at the register.
            The cashier asked, "Is that all
            for you today, ma'am?" The woman initially responded "Yes," but then
            added,
            gesturing toward me, "and his, too. He's probably in hurry"
            It took me a second to realize what she had offered. She
            turned to me and said with a smile,
            "How 'bout a random act of
            kindness?" She told me she would pay for the bagel and that I
            could go.
            I thanked her, wrapped up my bagel and left. I did
            thank her for her random act of kindness

LUCKIEST
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

I agree. In terms of sales psychology, "Is that all for you?" is a closed question. It implies that the clerk doesn't want to do anything else -- plus the easiest and most likely answer for the customer to give is "yes" (and that answer doesn't help the store sell anything else).

"What else can I get (or do) for you today?" is a much better question. It's an open question that obliges the customer to say something other than "yes" or "no," and it sends a message to the customer that the clerk is willing to offer more.

A well-trained clerk will know how to read the customer's response to that question. If the customer's verbal or non-verbal reaction reflects yours ("What, my $52.00 shirt isn't enough?"), the clerk will strongly reinforce the customer's decision ("Well, you are getting that really nice shirt!") and complete the transaction quickly. It's easy to read when customers have everything they want and are positively done shopping.

If the customer seems open to something more however, the clerk upsells ("You know, we have a couple of ties that would look great with that."). Maybe the customer indicates that he doesn't need a tie because the shirt is just for casual wear. So the clerk might ask if the customer likes khaki slacks, and note that they are buy one, get one half price today.

Providing retail clerks with a little training (on what to ask, and when to upsell or just get the customer on his way quickly) has helped turn a lot of $52 transactions into $300 transactions. In fact, I don't see how brick-and-mortar retailers even stay in business if they're not training clerks and other salespeople on these techniques. Face-to-face interaction with a customer is the strongest advantage they have over web-based competitors, plus upselling at check-out accounts for about 20 to 30 percent of total sales volume for my retail clients. Someone who asks, "Is that all for you?" might as well have a self-service register.
                puzzleman Tracker
                I agree with Lighthouse. With my customers, we pay attention to what is being ordered and where it is being shipped. If it is being sent as a gift, we suggest gift wrapping. if they already ordered gift wrapping, we suggest having the item engraved. If they have both, I tell them Thank you for the order.

Upselling add ons never hurts. The customer can always say no but once in a while you get one that appreciates you letting them know about an option to make the gift extra special.

Jim