Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2008 9:37 AM by ciordia9

going non-profit

jajoback Newbie
      I am the owner of a business which has been around for about 3 years now. We just recently have started forming everything but I recently was advised that going non-profit was definitely the way I should be headed. I looked into forming the non-profit but am running into a lot of financial issues in being able to just actually pay for the paper-work to file. A friend then advised me to find a non-profit that is still around but the owner just doesn't operate it anymore and take it over and then put in a new board and bring up new by-laws. Is this a smart thing to do or should I actually pay for the paperwork. If so where can I find the finances pay for the non-profit?
        • Re: going non-profit
          LUCKIEST Guide
          going non-profit, Welcome to this web site.

Everybody in business should have an Accountant and a Lawyer.

Good question for the Lawyer.\\Good luck
            ciordia9 Wayfarer
            While the consultation of legal is always good to have don't let that stop you from filing everything yourself and while you might have some filing fees, they will be a pittance to what a lawyer is going to charge you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-501c3-Nonp
            rofit-Organization

A Non-profit is a status. If you already have a company getting it in the 501 category is not the most efficient, but can be done like anything else governmental, in paperwork.

You should also work on your networking skills and attend local and regional meetups for small businesses or other non-profits you might want to work with. Seeking help from your local community can garner a lot of support, good will, connections, and usually volunteers. Use that power to help push you through your needs.
                jajoback Newbie
                yeah i understand that it will be benificial to not go through a lawyer... i actually got it down to where we are paying as little as 400$ to do this... but we don't even have that much.. right now im working a separate full time job just to support myself... i found some sites that will do all the filing for me with the state and all... im just kind of figuring out which is the best route for me... would it be benificial to take over an non profit that is already existing or should i form my own and file the work needed... as soon as i can get the non profit status ill be totally fine because i can then start taking donations and applying for government grants.. what are your thoughts on that?
                    ciordia9 Wayfarer
                    Unless you are doing the exact same thing as the prior non-profit, buying a non-profit and gutting it, rebuilding your own idea inside it to retain status will not be a good thing in the eyes of the government. When you fill out 8 pages of the possible 30 when going non-profit you are explaining why your company should deserve such a status. By going in and changing a company dramatically that status cannot stand where it once did. Again if you go in and pick up a per-say humane Dog club, and you wanted to make a humane Dog club too then you are probably right on target.

My point was as someone who has been also looking at going non-profit for a club I run, working 2 jobs, and trying to manage it all fiscally, it can be done by yourself with only filing fees and no one online. It just takes a little bit of time and you could achieve this within a few months.