Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2008 9:27 AM by Bridge

I WANT TO START MY OWN BUSINESS AT 22 AND NOT FAIL

Norton85 Newbie

HI I AM A 22 YEAR OLD AND I WANT TO START AN INSULATION
      BUSINESS HERE IN CT. I AM AFRAID THAT MY IDEA OF THE BUSINESS WONT TURNS OUT
      EXACTLY LIKE I PICTURE IT. IS THIS NORMAL? ALSO HOW SHOULD I GET STARTED WILL A
      BANK EVEN LOAN ME THE MONEY I NEED TO START A BUSINESS? MY BUSINESS START UP IS
      ABOUT 150K THAT INCLUDE EQUIPMENT AND TRANSPORTATION AND ATLEAST ENOUGH MONEY
      FOR A FEW MONTHS TO BE SET ASIDE TO PAY HELP AND GET ESTABLISHED. ALSO WILL
      HELP WITH THE ADVERTISEMENTS. THIS IS A GOING GREEN BUSINESS AND I AM TRYING TO
      GET FUNDING FROM COMPANIES THAT WILL HELP OR EVEN GET A GRANT. BY GOING GREEN I
      WANT TO STAND BY MY PRODUCT ITS ENVIROMENTAL FRIENDLY SO I WANT MY RIG AND
      COMPANY TRUCK TO BE ASWELL. IS THIS A GOOD IDEA TO GET STARTED WITH? I SORTOF
      KNOW MY BUSINESS PLAN BUT NOT REALLY SURE HOW TO DO THE NUMBERS IS IT EASY? SHOULD I DO A HARDCORE BUSINESS PLAN OR DO A SIMPLE DREAM PLAN?
        • Re: I WANT TO START MY OWN BUSINESS AT 22 AND NOT FAIL
          LUCKIEST Guide
          I WANT TO START MY OWN BUSINESS, Welcome

It is the American dream to start your own business (change the words around)
          and be a success.
          Yes it is also very important to develop on paper a Business and Marketing Plan.
          Part of the plan is the NUMBERS (like cash flow).
          And YES SCORE can help. SCORE is FREE.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            Mergent Adventurer
            My name is Brian Mosko, and I own Mergent Planning. We are a
            business/marketing plan firm, and we write investor ready business plans.

I
            noticed that in your post you said that you need a business plan, and I
            would be more than happy to look over what you have for free, and make some suggestions. If you would like us to assist you in creating a business plan, I feel that your concept would fit very well with the type of services we provide.

I usually make notes on what you provide and send it back so that you can make
            changes, and if there is major work to be done, then we can work something
            out. Feel free to contact me anytime at 702-538-1798, e-mail me atbrian@mergentplanning.com, or you can check us out on the web at
            www.MergentPlanning.com.

Again, I wish you the best of luck, and if I can be of any assistance,
            please do not hesitate to contact me.
            PS: I started young as well. It's very possible to succeed. Just get the right path to follow.

Best Regards,
            Brian MoskoMergent Planning702-538-1798brian@mergentplanning.com
              Bridge Navigator
              Good news - at 22 you are young enough to "fail" and tray again! I am serious. Never stop pursuing your dream. You can not have a failure, only a learning experience to make you better next time.

That being said, it would probably be worth your while to try and obtain work in a similar company first.

This will let you see first hand how the business is run (or should be run), develop contacts with suppliers, get ideas on how to improve customer services, etc. It will also be much easier to obtain a loan with industry experience. There are many posts here on obtaining SBA backed loans and the SBA website is a great place to get information.

One last thing, yes, you do need a business plan.

Good Luck!