Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2008 11:37 AM by Adducent

Buying an existing business...

Haileysdad Newbie
      I was offered a chance a to buy an existing Auto repair shop. I work some nights and weekend at this shop for extra money and have known the owner for 20+ years. I have been in the buisness for around 20 years, Ford master tech, as well as Ford Master Service manager. I have 10 years in managment with automotive shops as well.
      The shop I was offered does approx 40,000 a month gross, about 55-60% profit, has been in same spot for 12years and same owner since conception. I have the chance to take over everything including customer base and name. I will be needing between 200,000 to 250,000. which can be paid back with interest over 5-7 year term. The final number isnt here yet, we are still putting monetary value to all equipment and inventory.
      The owner said he will finance me at 8% interest, but I am a little leary mixing friends and money.
      Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks to all.
      Eric
        • Re: Buying an existing business...
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Buying an existing business, Welcome and good luck

*It is great that *you work at this shop and have known the owner for 20+ years in Ocala.
          Do you have an accountant to review priors tax returns and books and records??
          A Lawyer for the closing?? An Insurance Agent?? Would like to see a Cash Flow Statement
          How many people on Payroll?? Do you have a reliable back office (bookkeeping)??
          When will you have final numbers??

Good luck, LUCKIEST

Haileysdad Newbie

I will have an accountant look at all the books, he will provide me with any and all info needed, my wife works at a Mortagage company so one of her friends(co-workers-lawyer) will be going over all paper work also. At this time he has 4 plus himself on payroll, 2 full time mechanics, a general guy that does oil changes and such and 1 person writing repair orders. I will be eliminating the repair order person 2 months after I take over and my wife will handle all office and bookeeping duties. I will see about cash flowstatement. I should have final purchase price within 1 to 2 weeks. Not sure about insurance agent, but his buisness insurance is with the same agent I have for my home-owners policy and cars and boat, so any info about that should be really easy to get.....

Thanks for the quick response...

Eric
                  Haileysdad Newbie
                  OK the only news is that we have settled on 250,000.00. I should be getting the last 3 years tax returns very shortly, and I have talked to his accountant about cash flow statements.

So if there is any other help out there, I need it.
                  Very High profit business can pay very good % rate loan in 7years or sooner...
                      Tracker
                      Hi Eric,

I hope at this point you are well on your way to closing your acquisition. I just spotted your post and something that may help you (and the seller) to make it more comfortable with the business seller carrying back any financing can be found at: http://www.virginmoneyus.com. They provide professional services specifically where individuals are providing financing for a buyer. When I read over the site it seemed a great service and of benefit to both individual buyers and sellers. Perhaps they will be of benefit to you as well.

Dennis Lowery
                      Adducent, Inc.