Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2008 2:04 PM by LUCKIEST

The best market for a writing service

ladymom Wayfarer
      I want to editing websites and help small business owners write flyers and newsletters. What is the best way to target that market? This will be a home based business. How do I determine funding?
        • Re: The best market for a writing service
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

When first getting started, two sources for independent work are (a) partnering with a web developer or content writer who is also just getting started, and (b) listing your services on websites where your potential clients would either search for editing services or post the kind of contract jobs you are seeking. (I think there are a couple of members of this community who run sites like that -- maybe they will post more info here.)

You asked, "How do I determine funding?" By that, do you mean how to you get funding to start the business and cover operational costs -- or are you referring to how you set prices for the services you provide? I'm not sure what you're asking there. Can you elaborate?

Welcome to the community, and best wishes.
              ladymom Wayfarer
              Actually, both. I need to determine my prices for my services. Then, after I get up and running, I need to determine the cost of managing my website, cost of materials, travel time, cost of having internet service, any software programs I may need, and etc. I am working with someone who is just getting started and needed much assistance in writing for her website and posting information. I prefer to home work from home.
                  ladymom Wayfarer
                  I am sorry I am tired today. I prefer to work from home to cut down on travel expenses.
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    The best market for a writing service.

This might sound funny BUT you need to develop both a Business and Marketing Plan.
                    The plan should include prices for your services, cost of materials, travel time, cost of having
                    internet service, any software programs I may need.
                    You should also prepare a Cash Flow to make sure your prices are in the ball park.
                    This being Mothers Day, Happy Mothers Day.
                    Finally if you work from home, who do you delegate to??

LUCKIEST
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Estimating your operational expenses is a business planning function. There are downloadable business plan templates and spreadsheets that can help you get started, and free assistance available from sources like SCORE.

Pricing is most commonly done in one of two ways. When the potential client posts or requests a proposal for a single project, the editor normally bids a price for the job. When the potential client is seeking to contract with someone for a longer term (to work on multiple jobs over a period of time), the editor generally quotes a per word rate for a given level of editing. (The editors I've worked with offer five levels, from simple proofreading to major rewrites with documented link verification, source confirmation, fact checking, etc. -- and the cost per word is higher at each level. Most of them post these rates on their websites, but a good client will expect to negotiate down from there before an agreement is signed.)

Hope that helps.
                    ladymom Wayfarer
                    I guess I would delegate to other home-based business, women entrepreneurs, first time website builders ( do it yourself) and local writers.