Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2008 1:20 PM by Lighthouse24

A favorite quote #123 5/7/8

designer Tracker
      As I begin to water and seed the grass, enjoy the beauty of the flowering trees and bushes...I thought this was perfect!

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity; properity would not be so welcome." Anne Bradstreet, Writer/Poet (1612-1672)

Wow! That was a long time ago. Still true today. People that have passed away make me sad. I know one day I will pass away as well. What do you want to leave behind?????
        • Re: A favorite quote #123 5/7/8
          HR11man Newbie
          What do I want to leave behind? Some obvious responses are the love and the respect of others.I want to leave a legacy of service to the greater good. I hope for more progressive action as guardians and custodians for our home(planet Earth). The recognition of the interconnection and interdependence of all Earth`s creatures and Life is a sacred truth. We are all in this together and I seek the communication and creative solutions which operate from more truth and unconditional love.

At the same time, when I reflect and re-examine my accumulated life experiences, I am reminded of another truth of our flawed human existence and earthly experience.

"The reasonable man(woman) adapts himself to the circumstances that surround him....The unreasonable man adapts the surrounding circumstances to himself...All progress depends on the unreasonable man(woman). George Bernard Shaw

Tommy Lasorda,baseball manager said, There are 3 types of baseball players-those who make it happen,those who watch it happen and those who wonder what happened."

"There are 2 kinds of people: "those who want to be somebody and those who want to do something."

Helen Kellar said,"One should not seek to creep when one has the urge to soar".

I want to do something meaningful and I am certain that most people will not care; many will not like it and me-and a few will be working/living in the same direction.

To paraphrase a final quote: It matters not where a man is ;but the direction which he is headed.

Iwrite Pioneer
            I want to leave this place a little better than I found it.

The greatest part of being in advertising has been the ability and willingness of advertising agencies to work for free on causes that affect the world. I love doing pro bono work for a cause I believe in. If I can change one person's mind, make one child's life better, or prevent one unnecessary death - I will have left this place much better than I had found it.

And it doesn't matter if anyone knows my name.

My causes are:
            Susan G. Komen - Breast cancer
            MADD - Drunk driving
            NAACP and Dafur - Racism/hate
            Partnership for a Drug Free America - Substance abuse
              akgold Adventurer
              Excellent quotation. One of the biggest problems with the modern world is the lack of understanding natural cycles. Also, in America, it seems as if Americans have forgotten how to work hard and save versus running out and buying.

There is a huge difference between wanting something and working hard for it versus simply buying it on credit and then working to pay it off. Before you possess something, the amount of energy and excitement you have can be incredible. Simply paying for it on credit, obtaining it and paying it off breeds laziness and lack of discipline.

Maybe during this recession Americans can take a little time to get back to strong basics and then we can really appreciate the natural seasons of nature and life.
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Great question, and there's a part of me that would like to have a great answer. The trouble is, I've never been able in terms of what I want "to leave behind." I know that some people can. I know that thinking that way can be inspiring and motivating for them. I truly appreciate those people.

Our nation's forefathers were like that. They knew, as they were doing it, that they were producing concepts, processes, and documents that would live on long after them. I'm grateful.

There are also things that, at the time they were created, were not considered to be all that special. The two sisters in Kentucky who wrote "Happy Birthday To You" just wanted a simple tune to welcome children to their school. They could not have imagined that, 115 years later, their song would be the best known in the English language, or that it would be earn $2 million a year in royalties.

Scholars say that Michelangelo did not want to paint the famous Sistine Chapel ceiling -- he thought it was mundane work, felt that he was not a great fresco artist, and believed it would all plastered over in a few years anyway. But it was a paying job, so he accepted it and did what he could.

I guess I relate better to that. If anything should "live on" long after I'm gone, it'll probably something I'd have never imagined at the time I wrote, said, or did it. So I accept the opportunities that come my way and do the best I can with them, here and now. Que Sera, Sera . . .