Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2008 4:13 PM by Lighthouse24

Mrs. Fields Cookies

designer Tracker
      I'm curious if anyone knows the story about Mrs. Field's Cookies? Wasn't her name Debbie Fields from a Chicago suburb? I think she started in her kitchen and sold to some stores and got famous....I was almost sure I read in the news years ago she was bankrupt and then later, she became super, super huge. Is the correct? Does anyone know what happened? Does she still own the company or sold it and they use the name? Thank you.
        • Re: Mrs. Fields Cookies
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          Sounds like a good story, but I don't think it's Debbie Fields' story. She was born and raised in the Bay Area, married a Stanford grad, and opened her first store in Palo Alto in 1977 with bank financing. She didn't sell a single cookie the first day -- went out on the sidewalk the next day and started giving them away to attract customers. The business grew steadily from then on. She franchised it in 1990, and sold it to private investors in 1993.
              designer Tracker
              Wow! Thank you. So do you think now it is safe to say she is no longer involved in the business?
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

My understanding is that she divorced and remarried in the late 90's, now lives in Memphis with her husband (former CEO of Holiday Inn) and ten children, writes and conducts seminars, sits on the board of directors for several companies (including Outback Steakhouse), and is involved with non-profits (including a business incubator) -- but is not involved with the company that bears her name.

Trivia: She was the very first "ballgirl" hired by the Oakland A's when Major League Baseball introduced that idea in 1969.