Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2008 8:24 AM by DomainDiva

a question about patents

Johnsquest68 Adventurer
      I have developed an item that I believe will be recieved very well. After reviewing several of the "patent assistance" companies, I am very confused. The fees vary from hundreds to thousands upfront, and there are really no gaurantees that my Invention will ever get to a manufacturer.What is the correct or most prudent way to proceed? I would like to know if anyone has had an invention patented and in production? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

John
        • Re: a question about patents
          LUCKIEST Guide
          A question about patents, Sounds exciting.
          If I developed an item that I believe could be patented, I would search or seek out a
          out a Patent Attorney. There is NO ONE correct or most prudent way to proceed.
          I am a SCORE Counselor and YES have helped counsel with question about patents.

Good luck, remember SCORE, LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            The "correct" process depends on what the item is -- there are different types of patents, and different application procedures for each. It sounds as though you are likely referring to a utility patent. If so, here's the link that outlines and explains the steps involved:
            http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/util
            ity/utility.htm#non

The "prudent" process depends on what the item is, as well, plus how and when you plan to profit from it. For example, if you developed a new technology product that you intended to bring to market yourself, you'd want to go about it differently than if you developed a new hand tool that you intended to pitch to Craftsman or Stanley or somebody.

If you can provide more information about what you have and what you're trying to do with it, it will be much easier for members with the relevant knowledge and experience to help.

Best wishes.
              DomainDiva Ranger

A patent assist company wil likely leave you holding less than 20 % of your company. Find an independent patent attorney.

A lot of patent attorneys have degrees in the areas they specialize in as well. If your invention requires some engineering or design knowledge, find a patent attorney with an engineering or design degree.

Lighthouse24 Ranger

What are you seeking to patent, i.e., is it the design of this garment, the garment itself, the process for making it, the materials it's composed of, the thermal effect it produces . . .? Also, how and when do you want to make money from it?

by all means, don't post any info you're not comfortable sharing, but the answers to those two questions are probably necessary for anyone in the community to be able to offer specific suggestions or related experiences. Best wishes.