Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2008 5:46 PM by Mea7734

WHERE DO I START????

mj_603 Newbie
      I HAVE THIS GREAT IDEA, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. DO I GO TALK TO THE CITY FOR PERMITS OR DO I GO TRY TO SHOW MY IDEA TO THE BANK?? WHERE TO START?? IF ANYBODY HAS A LITTLE BIT OF TIME TO TRY TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW I COULD GET STARTED. I DON'T HAVE ANYBODY WHO IS RICH WHO COULD BACK ME UP IT'S JUST MYSELF AND I DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS TO START A BUSINESS. SO, I REALLY NEED HELP RIGHT. JUST NEED TO BE POINTED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. IT'S MY FIRST TIME ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT MY IDEA OR TRYING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS TO FAR FETCHED AND NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. BUT I SAW THIS WEB SITE BY ACCIDENT AND DECIDED TO GIVE IT A TRY. SO WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
        • Re: WHERE DO I START????
          LUCKIEST Guide
          WHERE DO I START?? Good question. Try to point you in the right direction.
          You start at the beginning. Tell us more about you??, Where you live??
          What city?? Have you developed a Business and Marketing Plan??
          Do you have an Accountant?? A Lawyer??
          How soon you plan on starting this business??
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
              mj_603 Newbie

WELL MY NAME IS MIRIAM. I LIVE IN EL PASO TEXAS. IM A LITTLE YOUNG, IM 23. HOPEFULLY PEOPLE STILL TAKE ME SERIOUSLY BECAUSE IF I FIND A GOOD OPPORTUNITY I WILL TAKE IT. NO I DONT HAVE ANY OF THOSE THINGS YOU LIST. THAT'S WHY I NEED A LOT OF HELP. DO I NEED A LAWYER?

WHAT I WANT TO DO WILL ALSO HELP MY DOWNTOWN AREA BECAUSE WE ARE SORT OF IN THE PROCESS OF REVIVING IT. SO I WANTED TO OPEN MY BUSINESS THERE AND HELP REVIVE OUR DOWNTOWN.

I WOULD LIKE TO START AS SOON AS I FIND SOME DIRECTION. I DO HAVE A FULL TIME POSITION SO ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO ON MY FREE TIME WOULD REALLY BE HELPFUL. I KNOW IF I SET MY MIND TO IT I CAN DO IT.
              I HAD THE IDEA OF PRIVATE PARTY ROOMS.
              DOES THAT ANSWER A LITTLE BIT MORE.
                  SJCarpentry Wayfarer
                  so...pretend we are future customers...what would the private party room be like, why would we use yours and why would you be good at running one?
                      mj_603 Newbie

IT WOULD BE LIKE A PRIVATE CLUB WITH ALL THE AMENITIES. I THINK I WOULD BE GOOD AT DOING THIS BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT YOUNG PEOPLE WANT WHEN THEY GO OUT AND PARTY. BUT INSTEAD OF HANGING OUT WITH ALL THESE PEOPLE THEY DONT KNOW, THEY COULD GET THEIR OWN CLUB AND HAVE JUST HAVE THEIR FRIENDS.
                          MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
                          Being able to sell your idea to others will be one of your challenges, but it sounds like your idea is a good one. What you have to decide is whether it is feasible and will make a profit. Your best bet is to start with a list of ideas, what the goals of the business will be, who will your target market be, how will you get the word out, etc. Once you have a pretty extensive list, you should catagorize it between Needs and Wants, this will help you determine how best to tackle the NEEDS list effectively through a well written business plan. You should do some research to figure out costs (i.e. renting space vs. purchasing space, utilities, licensing, etc.) this will help bring the "list of ideas" into real light. It honestly does help to know what kind of costs you are looking at. Once all this is together, you can begin to write your business plan - this will help sell your idea when the time comes.

It's like building a house, once you have a foundation, even if it's just a base, you have something you can build on. The main thing is bringing all those ideas fluttering around into some orderly fashion and into real light by writing them down and embarking on some of the research. Set a timeline of when you would like to get this business up and running as it helps to keep you focused and on track.

I think it's great that you want to place your business into the area that is trying to revitalize itself, community support and local growth is always good for the revitalization project (and the press loves it).

I hope some of these ideas help ... I hope I didn't come off too preachy, but I have a business of my own (and just opened a 2nd one) and I wish we had had a community to bounce ideas off of and get some guidance when we started. Makes things so much easier when you plot things as you go rather than try to back track.

Deb L
                          Mainely Technology
                          My Maine Events
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        COWBOY Wayfarer
                        WELL ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT YOU MY TRY THE E,D,C, OFFICE, EL PASO HAS ONE AN THEN YOU MY WHAT TO LOOK AT THE LAWS, AN SEE WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO FROM THARE''
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger
                      Welcome to the community. It sounds like you really are just getting started, which means there is a lot of basic planning to do. I think the SBA's Small Business Planner and perhaps a SCORE counselor (both free resources) could really help you at this stage. You can find the SBA planner at:

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/i
                      ndex.html

Hope this helps. Best wishes. (By the way, if you use normal sentence case instead of all UPPER CASE letters in your future posts, it will make them much easier to read -- and likely create more responses from the community. Just a suggestion . . .)
                        santos514 Adventurer
                        Get free, free to 20 thing to do when stating a business send request to

info@paramountfinancialservices.net