Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2008 12:35 AM by Lighthouse24

Copyright Questions

chinahdoll Wayfarer
      I have finally found the perfect name for my Dessert and Pastry Business....how can I find out if that name is already taken?
        • Re: Copyright Questions
          Johnsquest68 Adventurer
          their are three basic ways to do this. but first, if it is your company name, then it is your "trademark" if it is your logo or written work then it is a "copyright".
          1: look under patent and trademark attorneys and law firms. They can do the trademarks and or copyright for you.

2: there are many trademark and copyright companies online that will do this for a fee.

3: you can do the legwork, go to the us patent and trademark website: www.uspto.gov do the search and pay the fee directly to the us patent and trademark office

John
          • Re: Copyright Questions
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

Your business name really only has to be unique within the jurisdiction where it is registered -- so when you register the business with your state or county, a name search will be required. The procedure for that varies by county and state. You can easily do it yourself in some places, but not in others.

Once you create and register the business, if you wish to exclusively use a name, phrase, symbol, or design (or a combination of those) to identify and distinguish your business from anyone else's, you need to file a trademark application. For details, visit:
            http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

Hope this helps. Best wishes.