Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 4:41 PM by Lighthouse24

Are You a CPMS?

iMicrobrand Adventurer
      Hello all...

In a recent post on my Blog at Microbrandology - I posted a entry called "The Close Proximity Motivational Speaker". Though I am dealing with what I will be someone's future Global Microbrand - I also feel like what is written will help other people discover a strategy that they can use when defining their personal Global Microbrand -

Check the article out and give some feedback here so we can expand on it... http://tinyurl.com/6m6fp6

Cheers!!

Vincent A. Hunt
      Microbrandologist
        • Re: Are You a CPMS?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

The article states, "Close Proximity Motivational Speaker" - this role does no exists sic. I'm thinking that the role does exist (and is applicable to anyone who successfully sells anything face-to-face).

Nevertheless, I can see how thinking in the terms the article describes might help a sales rep, fundraiser, account manager, etc. to discover his or her competitive edge and distinctive niche. Whether that individual should use that newly discovered role as a job title or personal "brand" is a different question, however.

Imagine two guys with the same job at the same firm attending the same social event. The first, when asked what he does, replies "I'm a Close Proximity Motivational Speaker." The second, when asked, replies "I sell residential solar and wind turbine systems." (Same number of spoken syllables in either response.) Who get the better leads and make more sales?

That's probably why the phrase "Close Proximity Motivational Speaker" doesn't show up on Google. (Well, I guess it'll show up NOW . . .)
            • Re: Are You a CPMS?
              iMicrobrand Adventurer
              Good Insight Lighthouse24!

What I am finding, as I see more and more people stepping out into the marketplace as their "own man" or "woman" - I am seeing an influx in these new titles, sheeez I am an example of one as well... Microbrandologist? Kinda like a Psychiatrist for people who are engaged in Personal Branding themselves... Here is the revelation though... Because I am very specialized in what I do, I had to pinpoint the role that I play.

So in our example here... The Close Proximity Motivational Speaker... Though his or her function is quintessentially the same as a Motivational Speaker - the addition of the "Close Proximity" adds a new dynamic, would you agree? I would also think that in your example below, which was great! The persona that says - Close Proximity Motivational Speaker may actually yield more results than the other. BUT to really get the flow from he CPMS we would have to be comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges - for example...

Say I am in a room full of people and the overall groups contains Motivational Speakers, Futurist, Conceptualist and others who coach train teach and inspire others... If the two, the CPMS and the traditional Motivational Speaker are side by side and asked.. "What do you do?" - the question would be then - which one would YOU be more intrigued to ask more questions of? Personally - I would probably be more intrigued by the CPMS because 1. Have never heard of one, 2. I would want to know the defining difference of the two. It get REAL tricky if I am the type that likes one on one coaching vs the group environment - then my interest would lean toward the CPMS - key words "Close Proximity" - I say this because it happens to me all the - when me and Colleagues are out and about - and they talk about Personal Branding - I talk about Microbrandology - which applies to Global Microbrands - the differences are subtle yet very unique, and I tend to get a lot more interest... Now, the reason why Microbrandology and Microbrandologist are now populating Google is because I have opened that door - and I am sure that in the future you will have new Microbrandologist that spawn - The beauty is that I am pretty distinct right now...

Great stuff!!

Keep Brandin!

Vincent A. Hunt
              Microbrandologist