Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 8:50 PM by DomainDiva

Buying a salon with

CGSalon Wayfarer

I am purchasing a salon that already has 2 booth renters, which aren't considered employees. The salon was managed terribly by the last owner and is desperate to get out of the business. One of the booth renters pays $600/mo and the other pays $420/mo because she is part time. Honestly I don't want booth renters. In the end you make NO money. I plan on changing the salon drasticly in the way it is managed in order to make a profit, chances are they will leave. The booth renters make their own hours, their own pricing, but they also manage their own books and pay their own taxes. To me, that's not how a "high end" salon should work. Do I just go into the salon and tell them this is the way it's going to be? Because they aren't employees do I just tell them I will not be renewing their lease? It would be nice to have the extra $1000/month to start out with, but I think it would just be more of a hassle in the long run. Help.

Cassie Gray
      C.G. Salon
        • Re: Buying a salon with
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Buying a salon, Welcome You ask good questions.
          You am purchasing a salon. Tell us more.
          What is your background?? Do you have a Lawyer??
          *Now you are opening a new game plan "*Because they aren't employees do I
          just tell them I will not be renewing their lease"
          WHAT LEASE?? That is why you need a Lawyer??
          Have you developed a Business and Cash Flow Plan??
          Do you have an Accountant?? Insurance Agent??
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              CGSalon Wayfarer

I guess I'm going to look for a lawyer. I do have an accountant and do not have an insurance agent (only for personal).

The current owner will be leaving, I do not wish to buy her business name. All I really want to do buy is the contents of her salon and take over the lease. I do not wish to have the current booth renters. I take it this is something to discuss with a lawyer? I could possibly keep the renters there while I build up the business, the only hassle would be converting them to the initial business plan which is commission based salon. This is definitely where I need a lawyer.
              DomainDiva Ranger
              Maybe you should talk to them like they are important to the business and give them the details on the new business structure, keeping in mind that you want them (?) to be a part of the new high end salon. You should make a plan that shows them what benefits they will have by coming on board with you in this venture.

Be aware that these two booth renters are just as aware as you are of how the owner has conducted himself/herself and they are naturally going to be suspicious of you and your intentions. If you truly want to make this new business a success, you will go at this on a team effort scale and not an "I am the boss this is the new deal, sort of way". I am sure you know in the salon business word travels really really fast. Being a new owner bully will send them packing with all sorts of tales...real and imagined, their customers will go as well and you could be left holding an empty space with unoccupied chairs.

Trust me on this one, I am at my current salon because something like this happened to my stylist, She left ....I followed her. Remember, these stylists have customers. CUS-TO-MERS. Bring these people on board, go to them PREPARED to answer all of their questions and show them how great it will be working for you. BTW it costs me more at the new salon, but who cares...she's my hairdresser!