Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2008 9:19 AM by DomainDiva

Quick Question about taking pictures in stores~

eversuhoshin Wayfarer

This is a real quick question. Would you let someone take pictures (2-3 max) of inside your store/ business if they offered to make a free website for you right in front of you under five minutes? Plus, show you the newly made website on google?

I know that small business owners are apprenhensive about people taking pictures of their business as the pictures maybe used negatively on the web. Also, they maybe afraid that it's a "mystery shopper" trying to audit them.

It would be great if you could offer us a way to overcome objections from small business owners. For now, we plan to just tell them who we are and ask if we can take photos and create a website in front of them. Anyone have any better ideas? How to more effectively persuade small business owners? T

Thank you for your time and consideration.
        • Re: Quick Question about taking pictures in stores~
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

What if you began with "generic" (stock) photos that represented the scenes/subjects you wanted to photograph in the potential client's store? Then you could build and demo the web pages, explain where the store photos would go, and then offer to take the photos and add them to the site immediately. I think most owners would be willing/able to guide you to spots within the store where they would want pictures taken if they saw the context of how they would be used first.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Quick Question about taking pictures in stores.
            Quick questions do not always get quick answers, BUT it is an interesting question.
            Everybody loves FREE. Why are you doing this??
            Most people in business know about advertising. What you are offering (if it is really free)
            is FREE advertising.
            Another way to overcome objections is to tell the store owner, lets say a Pizza Restaurant,
            that you just did another Pizza place on the next block. Friendly competition
            Does every business or store want a web site??
            Good luck, LUCKIEST
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              DomainDiva Ranger

I for one think that this is a really great idea. There are so many small 'boutique retail establishments' that have such unique, fabulous items to offer. My favorite place is a small shop in Berlin Maryland where I bought a wooden (walnut or teak I think....) rolling pin with turquoise inlays. My strudel making husband says it is the best one he has ever used, and yes it cost dearly but what a prize for my kitchen!!!!!!!

I was allowed to take pictures in that shop of that artists line so I could pass the word back home to my friends.

The point is to connect on a personal level with the business owner or artist you want to photograph. Perhaps thats why I was allowed to photograph the display. I really loved the artists work and since I was in the area for several weeks I sort of became a fixture in the store.