This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2008 6:01 AM by intechspecial RSS

Laws Regarding Donation Requests

intechspecial Master
Currently Being Moderated

My company is registered as a Sole Proprietorship in the State of Ohio.

I recently was banned from the Google Adwords network for placing an ad that stated: Pro Bono Web Design for Qualifying Organizations, Payment not Required, Donations will be accepted.

This leads to my question:

Can a company that is not a non-profit, or charitable organization, request donations for free work that they do?

If there is a law regarding this, where do I find relevant information in regards to this law.

Please quote your source when replying to this forum, so I can verify the legitimacy of your response.
  • Re: Laws Regarding Donation Requests
    LUCKIEST Master
    Laws Regarding Donation Requests

*Your *company is registered as a Sole Proprietorship.
    My feeling is that all businesses should have an Accountant, A Lawyer
    and an Insurance Agent.
    *If you are asking "*Please quote your source when replying to this forum,
    so I can verify the legitimacy of your response.
    Then you should talk to your Lawyer.
    LUCKIEST
    Lighthouse24 Master

No, it's not illegal for a sole proprietorship to request donations (it's very common in the "freeware" world, and I cited a story in another thread awhile back where a restaurant solicited customer donations to raise money to pay its taxes!). There are usually state and local laws that dictate how donations may/must be solicited. I don't know what those might be in your locale.

As far as being banned from AdWords: The Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you signed up included a Content Policy. It specifically states that you are not allowed to solicit donations in an ad unless you're a 501(c)(3) non-profit . Here's the source:

http://adwords.google.com/support/bin/sta
    tic.py?page=guidelines.cs&topic=9271&#
    38;subtopic=9279

Hope this helps.
    intechspecial Master

Please let me try and refocus this forum to getting LEGITIMATE advice from someone who actually knows the laws.

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding DONATIONS if you are not a non profit or charitable entity?

If you do know the laws, please advice, as well as with your source of this.
    SBC Team Master
    Community Members,

We have moved this discussion to Shop Talk. Please use the forum Shop Talk for general requests for community feedback. The Community Feedback Forum is for specific feedback about the Small Business Online Community and how we can improve the Community to better meet the needs of our members. Thanks!

The Small Business Online Community Team

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...