Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2008 5:13 PM by MnlyTechnlgy

What's your knowledge and experience of Affiliate Programs

MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
      Hi everyone: I attended a Guerilla Marketing seminar the other day and picked up some extremely valuable and helpful information. One of the topics that was discussed (briefly) pertained to Affiliate Programs and how they can be a great marketing benefit to your business as well as a good revenue generator. As some of you may know, I have another business which I will be launching in the next couple of weeks and I think this affiliate program option would work well with this business, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I conducted minimal research on the topic to date but am consistently educating myself.

Would you mind sharing your experience with Affiliate Programs?
      How did you find programs which fit with your target business?

I appreciate the input !

Deb L
        • Re: What's your knowledge and experience of Affiliate Programs
          LUCKIEST Guide
          How did you find programs which fit with your target business?
          Part of the answer to your question. (Not about AFFILIATE)

In the world of marketing, the word "automatic" is part of a continuum.

• "Set and forget" marketing. \\ Borrowing from the famous infomercial for an oven roaster,
          • this kind of \\ marketing is as automatic as you can get. You invest time and money \\ once,
          • and your system takes care of itself. The worst case is that you \\ have to update your
          • marketing collateral, budget, or targeting from \\ time to time.

• Semi-automatic marketing. \\ At the other end of the spectrum, there are some marketing
          • tactics that \\ allow partial automation. However, you still need to invest time to \\ customize
          • these programs each time you implement them. Manual work is \\ required on an ongoing
          • basis in these hybrid strategies.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
          • Re: What's your knowledge and experience of Affiliate Programs
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            Affiliate programs are not (nor are they meant to be) a significant revenue stream for my business, so I can't say we actively "work" them like some businesses do.

In my limited experience, however, affiliate programs are most useful when you choose just a few highly reputable products and companies that closely match the content of your website (and that would therefore be of serious interest and benefit to your customers and site visitors).

Unrelated products and companies take up valuable web page "real estate," detract from your content, and waste the time of the very people whose business you are trying to win and keep. Too many affiliated links (or links to "questionable" companies) can negatively impact credibility -- a first time visitor who sees a lot of advertising for other entities may assume that your company has nothing of value to offer (and that your site really only exists to make money through affiliate programs).

In the context of giving management advice (a key part of my business), it doesn't make sense to me to put "billboards" on my website to promote a hotel chain, a cellular provider, a pizza place, or whatever -- especially if I'm not even a customer or advocate of those businesses. Yet if I happen to refer to a book (in the context of management advice), I will offer a link to it in -- and if readers click it and buy the book, it benefits me as the affiliate who referred them. So I guess I've "found" programs by determining that a company I was already a "fan" of anyway (and from which I had bought things myself, and would confidently refer clients) had an affiliate program.

Hope this helps.