Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2008 3:45 PM by NatOnline

Looking for suggestions for a new website

geobiz Wayfarer
      I am having a friends son do my simple one page webpage. I need some suggestions on the cheapest way to register my domain and who to host my site. I seen a blog from someone else that it would be better if it were two different companies, is this correct?
        • Re: Looking for suggestions for a new website
          MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
          geobiz: Not necessarily "better" to have domain reg and hosting through different companies, in my opinion. The most important thing to be aware of with hosting is that it is a company that a) supports your type of website and the bandwidth necessary to run it effeciently and b) that they have 24/7 support and monitoring. The last thing you want is to find out after the fact that your site went down on Friday afternoon and your hosting company won't be back in until Monday morning at 9:00 and c) your hosting company should allow you complete admin control over your site. A hosting company that doesn't do all of these is not worth hosting with. We are a web development company and we can do domain reg and hosting for you comparatively cost effectively. We don't charge for domain registration if you host your website with us. If you would like to explore this option or talk further, feel free to e-mail me at: and put SBOC forum in the subject line to avoid my SPAM filters.

Deb Leonard
          Mainely Technology
            designer Tracker
            I'd like to say a couple things - - -

(Not knowing what you sell or the service you provide) but....

Are you in this business for the long haul? Do you want to make a great first impression and grow?

Appearance is everything!

1. You get what you pay for. If you can, go with a quality company like to host.
            2. Have you seen the work your friend's son does? Before you stamp your name on it and go public, make sure it's really presentable and fits your needs.

I saw a hairstylist's Web site and I just wanted to cringe. It was horrid! It looked like an 8 yr. old did the Web site and I had to go through 3 rounds of emails with my friend to suggest pointers on how to improve what they were trying to save.

You can never go back and make another "first" impression. The SHARKS in Internet land will eat up SMALL fish.

Good Luck!
                MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
                Designer makes a good point. I'd like to add as well, that there are some things it just does not pay to do "cheaply" and marketing your image is one of them. Again, I will mirror what Designer has said, not knowing what geo does or provides, but there is never a second chance to make an good first impression especially when it's through your business.
                websolutions Tracker
                I recommend for your domain searching and web hosting needs. Check it out...

Web Solutions Team
                  ecomconsult Adventurer
                  Its not necessarily better to have it from two different companies, rather it depends on what kind of package they offer you. In most cases a hosting company would provide the domain for free. See these hosting companies:

You will get a great deal and at the same time these companies are well known for these services.
                    NatOnline Tracker

Step 1, finding a good domain name, then a registrar, but not whatever cheap registrar. Why? simply because your registrar must have the full security not only if someone could highjack your domain, but enough security to avoid moving your domain in the worse case scenario of your computer compromised. That way if someone steal your information your registrar information, etc... they can steal or transfert your domain with more security. I cannot say more about it on this forum because it is a sensitive information.

Step 2, like some members suggested, you must have an hosting company with enough ressources, and access to a full technical support for whatever site you are running. It is essential particularely if you are planning to run an e-commerce.

Good luck