Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2008 7:48 AM by lifeinrhythm

Marketing a healthy beverage in nightclubs

lifeinrhythm Newbie
      I have a new energy drink that is healthy for you. It have only 1g of sugar and many essential vitamins that naturally stimulate the metabolism to give you more energy, best of all it taste great. How can I go about marketing this product to nightclubs? Are there any sites where I can get ideas to start me off?

Thanks,
      lifeinrhythm
        • Re: Marketing a healthy beverage in nightclubs
          designer Tracker
          Good Luck to YOU! This sounds GREAT! How terrific to go to a nightclub, be social, exercise with some dancing, have YOUR energy drink, be in a smoke-free atmosphere...it's like going to a GYM! Much better than going out and turning into a pop-star MESS.
            DomainDiva Ranger
            Not to rain on your parade here...but nightclubs? Hve you ever been in a nightclub? Nightclubs are NOT about health...I will leave it at that.

If this is such a super product why not LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, Express Fitness and other health clubs? How about chiropractors? How about selling online?

You could market to people that work graveyard shifts...(my youngest is a nurse who works late nights and swears by her energy drink...it would be great for her to have something really good for her body instead of caffeine and sugar).

How about homeschooling Moms?
                designer Tracker
                Hi, DomainDiva

I've been going to nightclubs on and off in my 20's, 30's and 40's. I don't really go to them NOW too much because I am so busy with my jewelry and appearances, but when I am on vacation in LA or VEGAS we will venture out. There is a whole new attitude in the Nightclub scene. I guess it all depends on where you go and who you hang around with. Me and my beautiful and talented friends and business people do not want to go out and get trashed, but we like to dress up and be social and network and have a great time. An energy drink is a great alternative and I would fully support it as a patron. And if the guys want to fire up a cigar...more power to them. I want to go out and feel energectic and good and watch some videos and dance. And, I do agree with you....the nighclub is just one, one, one place to market it, but a great start. With the Nightclubs, it all depends where you go. I only like the ones that are expensive cover to get in and have security.
                LUCKIEST Guide
                Marketing a healthy beverage. Welcome to this web site and good luck.
                How long has your company been in business??

Do you have a Business and Marketing Plan??
                Why only NIGHTCLUBS. There is a whole world out there outside of nightclubs.
                Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE

You am in the Health and Wellness industry.
                Your company has positioned
                itself with our awesome product called
                Tahitian Noni Juice.
                We have many other products to fit your lifestyle
                and wellness needs.

LUCKIEST
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

In most states, there are laws (dating back to when Prohibition was repealed) that require restaurants, bars, and nightclubs to buy liquor from a relatively short list of state-licensed distributors. If your state has such a law, I would look at the possibility of wholesaling your non-alcohol energy drink to one of those distributors and letting them handle the merchandising side with nightclubs.

Those distributors are already well positioned to know in which clubs your drink would sell best, in what quantity, and for what price -- and they'd know how to persuade the right owners to offer it. You'd give up some profit to them, but you'd only have to connect with one distributor to potentially reach hundreds of retail sellers -- plus if there are obstacles to overcome (e.g., a reason why placing your drink in nightclubs would be not be successful), they'll know it and be able to explain.

I think your idea may be a good one -- my only concern would be competition. I know of 96 different energy drinks from more than 50 manufacturers that I could buy today from about 600 different local and regional wholesalers if I were a nightclub owner interested in retailing such a product. So if your drink really does have something better to offer than all those, you'll probably have to prove it. As you probably know, this is typically done in your industry by giving the wholesaler (or retailer) a certain amount of product from free up front for "market research" (to let them see for themselves that their patrons are willing to try it, that they like it when they do try it, and that they'll continue buying it in the future). Again, the "freebies" cut into your profits, but that's how the competition is playing the product placement game right now.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
                      DomainDiva Ranger
                      As always you start me thinking.....

Since nightclubs and restaurants have a HUGE profit margin on alcohol....what profit margin incentive is there for them to carry it?
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                          Diva, I don't have any hard data I can cite to answer that, but several "chain" nightclubs have already introduced their own branded energy drinks, and I'd assume they've done so because it's profitable. I've been told (by people who should know) that the margin on energy drinks is about triple that of soft drinks (around 50 percent at the retail level). Obviously, they provide another option for non-drinkers and designated drivers, plus some bar owners report that offering energy drinks actually increases liquor sales -- as a lot of younger people who go clubbing after work will alternate energy drinks and alcohol, and keep drinking and dancing long after they should have been passed out on the floor (which, perhaps, redefines the "healthy" aspects of the product!).