Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2008 12:01 PM by LogoMotives

Yellow Page Still hot?

eversuhoshin Wayfarer
      www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=843373

The Yellow Page Association had an interesting study claiming that there were over 13 billion referrals of print yellow books in the US last year. Are yellow books still used that often? I am just curious. I know that 60% of small business owners are over 45 (U.S. Census 2000). But 13 billion referrals that seems a lot....Anyone have opinion on whether yellow books are still in use by small businesses? Thank you for your time and consideration.
        • Re: Yellow Page Still hot?
          intechspecial Ranger
          Advertising with the phone book did not work for my company.

The salesperson made promises regarding the add that he did not keep.

The ad in the phone book has ended up being a bill with no return.

I am sure others have had better results.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Yellow Page Still hot, YES

The term Yellow Pages refers to a telephone directory of businesses,
            categorized according to the
            product or service provided. As the name
            suggests, such directories are usually printed on yellow paper,
            as
            opposed to white pages for non-commercial listings. The traditional term "Yellow Pages"
            is now also applied to online directories of businesses.

The name and concept of "Yellow Pages" came about in 1883,
            when a printer in Cheyenne, Wyoming
            working on a regular telephone
            directory ran out of white paper and used yellow paper instead.
            Reuben
            H. Donnelly later expanded on this concept in 1886 to recreate the
            first official yellow pages directory.

LUCKIEST
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

As the study noted, 13.4 billion references is the equivalent of every adult in the country using the Yellow Pages more than once a week to look something up. That does seem surprisingly high.

About 3 million hotels rooms are occupied each night in the U.S. by people who have no computer with them for Internet access. They probably use the Yellow Pages. If someone in each room looked up one thing (a restaurant, for instance), that would be over a billion references a year right there. What if they looked at several restaurants? Does that count as several references?

Now that I think about it, I usually look at the Yellow Pages ads of companies in my industry when I visit other cities or new markets, just out of curiosity. Do each of those count as a reference? Reminds me of the line in a TV commercial: "90 percent of all statistics can be made to say whatever you want half the time."

I think there are some businesses in some industries that have to be listed in the Yellow Pages, simply because their competitors are, and because the customers or clients they serve expect them to be (or need them to be). Even so, I think the number of businesses that fit that profile is declining, that Yellow Pages ads are becoming less effective, and that the producers/publishers know it.

eversuhoshin Wayfarer
                  Hello Lighthouse24,

That makes lots of sense. I remember playing with the yellow room when I was in a hotel. Yes, bible and the yellow book are always there and given that most hotels charge for internet....That makes sense but do you think you make a purchase using a yellow book in a hotel? Hmmm...I wonder. Thank you for your insight :)
                  ibranz Wayfarer
                  The question is - what demographic are you trying to serve?

If its Baby Boomers, then the Yellow Pages might stilll be relevant. If, on the other hand, you are selling to Gen X or Y, probably not. Since Gen Xand Y grew up on the Internet, that is the first place they will go to find information.

I would start with the target audience you are trying to serve and determine how they seek information on products or services similar to yours. If it is Internet-based, then you need to engage those venues where they reside. This may include blogging on partcular sites or joining social networks. Also, you will get more milage out of news releases on Market Wire than running an ad. For example, you can run 13 news releases compared to the cost of one ad.

May I suggest you read "The New Rules for Marketing and PR" This book will help uncover how media works in the 21st Century!

Hope this helps?
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger
                      Besides demographics, the type of business is also important. For example:

The FBI says 13.6 million people were arrested in the U.S. last year. If I were an attorney or bail bondsman, I'd have a Yellow Pages ad.

Netcraft says 70.4 million domain registrations were purchased last year. If I were a domain name registrar, I'd skip the Yellow Pages.
                      designer Tracker
                      Honestly, when they deliver the phone books to my front door, it upsets me that so much paper is wasted and that they dumped these huge, heavy things off and I am forced to deal with it to get in my front door. I NEVER look at them. I take them and march right off to the dumpster on our property. I think for the Yellow Pages, they drop off about 100 of these books or more at our front gate of our gated community and I have to watch them blow in the wind, get rained on and eventually our property manager will discard the ones nobody wants or takes.
                        LogoMotives Wayfarer
                        Over the past few years most of my clients have drastically cut back on their Yellow Page advertising - many to the smallest display ad possible or just a regular listing. Quite a few are eliminating the Yellow Pages from their advertising budget completely. In most cases, the results from advertising in the directory simply does not justify the expense - especially when so many other advertising options are available.

In my own case, in 30 years I have never advertised my business in the Yellow Pages. For many in the design profession it results in too many "tire kickers" - primarily people looking for design services based only on price only - and more targeted promotion efforts are usually more successful.

For about the last decade, when the Yellow Pages are delivered to my door they go directly into the recycle bin. When I need services, products or contact information I go immediately to the computer.

Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity | Jeff FIsher LogoMotives