Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2008 1:43 PM by Iwrite

A favorite quote...#117

designer Tracker
      This is great!

"Business is about first impressions and on-going interactions. Employees' appearance, attitude and behavior are direct reflactions of your company and brand". Professional Image Management.
        • Re: A favorite quote...#117
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          This has been a challenge for employers my entire working life -- especially employers that hire young people, yet serve an older segment of the general public.
              designer Tracker
              I remember a time when most business men wore nice suits, shirts and ties. Ladies were dressed sharp, too. Over the years, corporate america became more flexible and allowed casual Fridays and then business casual dress...period. But, now...people take it to the extreme - - -wearing flip flops while commuting on trains and coming downtown and holy jeans and graffitti shirts and suggestive clothing. I think it's so silly and unprofessional (and dangerous). I mean...how are you going to run for your life in flip flops??? I once asked a manager....well, aren't you going to send that person home to change? They said "no" - - -we're just so happy they came into work today. If we send them home, we'll lose about 3 hours productivity time and who knows if they'll even return. And when I was 20-something....I was all choked up in a white dress shirt and a tie on a 95 degree summer day! Ha!
                  DomainDiva Ranger

I agree, you have to out your best foot forward in the business arena. My general work area is office warehouse, with lots of warehouse work with boxes of paper records. However when we have a customer in to look at records for a pre-lease, I am always in a suit. I devote all of my time to them and if I have to move boxes or dig (extremely rare) my suit then takes a trip to the cleaners.

I think what bothers me most these days is the way teachers dress in the classroom. I remember my teachers in school always being dressed to the 'nines' with heels as well. I look at some of these teachers now and am totally apalled with what I see. No wonder they can't control a classroom...who respects someone that dresses like the students?
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      Wow.

As I sit here working on a project in blue jeans, a linen shirt and my favorite jogging shoes - I feel so unprofessional. Oh wait! I work in advertising! I guess, this place needs to lose the Xbox 360, the Wii, the massage chairs, they should put some future in the mediation room and send all the dogs home.

But the clients love it - they enjoy coming here and meeting in the themed conference rooms, listening to an expert on online gaming with purple hair. And they really love the numbers they are getting from this place. And every now and then, you catch one of these important clients in a custom suit riding one of the scooters to a meeting.

I think we all need to put our best foot forward. I just think it depends on where you work and what you do. You can go too far either way.

DomainDiva Ranger
                          Different business arenas have their own 'environment' (for lack of a better word this early) and environmental assessories. (Love the dogs!!) However, what is right for one business area is totally wrong for another. Jim Cramer rolling up his sleeves on Mad Money is about as casual as Wall Street would get. When on site in a maintenance hangar, I am in jeans and workboots. Customer meetings however for closing deals are another thing and that demands a shark suit.

Now I Write, where can I come to have a coffee (Bold, black with a shot of espresso) and love the pups?
                              Iwrite Pioneer
                              That was all I was trying to get across. Let's stay flexible how we view things. I own some nice suits, but I realized early on clients have an idea of what they are going to see at advertising agencies, and suits and ties do not say creative. I imagine some people would cringe if they saw what I wore to client meetings with some of the huge clients I have presented to, but the clients were cool with it and it did not hinder an exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Now, that being said. One thing some folks don't get - IF YOU WEAR A SUIT, WEAR IT RIGHT! NO STAINS AND NO WRINKLES! AND BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, SHINE YOUR SHOES!
                              Nothing is worse than dressing up and looking bad.

Now, DomainDiva, they don't have an espresso machine. but we can hang out in the Zen room - I want one of these in my home!! The "Spa" room is cool but I really need the peace and calm more. You would really be happy today - employees are taking pictures with their dogs today.