Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 4:15 AM by intechspecial

Disabled Owned Small Business - Oxymoron?

intechspecial Ranger

Question: If someone is disabled they can not work. If they
      can not work how the heck do they expect to own and operate a business? Isn’t
      the term “disabled small business owner” kind of like saying, “empty glass is
      full of water”?

Answer: Yes actually it is. Yes it is next to impossible to
      own a small business and deal with a disability.

I am a small disabled businss owner, who refuses to let the glass continue to be empty.

What is your view on disability and work? How can a disabled small business overcome a disability to be successful?

Please share your story, or your opinion.
        • Re: Disabled Owned Small Business - Oxymoron?
          LUCKIEST Guide

Disabled Owned Small Business

The United States Government sets aside contract benefits for companies considered as
          '+Service-Disabled Veteran Small Business+ (SDVSB.)

Criteria

A business hoping to be considered "Service-Disabled Veteran" must
          be at least 51% owned by an individual who can be considered by the
          government as a Service-Disabled Veteran. .

*Veteran*- The term "veteran" means a person who served in the
          active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or
          released under conditions other than dishonorable.

*Service Disabled*- with respect to disability, that such
          disability was incurred or aggravated in line of duty in the active
          military, naval, or air service. An injury or disease incurred during
          military service will be deemed to have been incurred in the line of
          duty

LUCKIEST
            DomainDiva Ranger
            "....disabled small business owner" kind of like saying, "empty glass is full of water"? "

No not at all. All it says is that a disabled (in some way) person owns a business and is mixing it up in th REAL world instead of whining about being disabled.

Stop whining. The glass is always as full as anyone wants it to be. A full life is a choice no matter what the circumstances. Our parts guy was telling me a story about a BLIND electrician. Was his glass full or not?

Who cares if a person is disabled? If the work gets done and gets done well what difference does it make? That's the problem with pigeonholing people and their abilities because of what we can see.
                LUCKIEST Guide
                DD, RIGHT ON, GREAT ANSWER
                LUCKIEST
                  intechspecial Ranger
                  Luckiest & DomainDiva -

Thanks for the feedback, I most certainly understand where you are coming from.
                      intechspecial Ranger
                      I had a few other things I would like to say in regards to your judgement and criticism, but I will save this for a later date.

I by no means was not whining, was only trying to reach to people in this community that deal with a disability.

Thanks for your compassion.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          You are so WRONG
                          You did reach a person who reaches out to people in my community dealing
                          with a disability. I am on the Board of the Independent Living.
                          LUCKIEST
                              intechspecial Ranger
                              Luckiest,

If I am wrong I offer my apologies.

I would like to hear more about the Board of Independent Living and what it is they do.
                                  LUCKIEST Guide
                                  Where are you located (like CIty and State)??
                                      intechspecial Ranger
                                      Luckiest -

My company is based in Streetsboro, Oh(Cleveland-Akron area).

I would also like to mention that I called DomainDiva earlier, and her intention was not how I interrupted it. She was acutally really nice.

If i mis-interrupted your view as well Luckiest, I apologize again.
                                          intechspecial Ranger
                                          Some of my "attitude" or complaining comes from my own lack of acceptance, or potentially my inability to accept. I refuse to live on, accepting limitations.

I do not mean to sound so negative, I am just frustrated with myself and my limitations. Whether these limitations are self imposed or not depends on who you talk to, as everyone has the answer to my limitations. Doctors, family, friends, complete strangers, everyone has an opinion about what it is like, and what I should do to overcome it. Yet only the ones that have the same type of disability as me truly understands what it is like.

I am even more frustrated of my current business success level, as my limitations(self imposed or not) have affected my ability to be successful.

I am trying to reach out to others that might have a disability and be a business owner as well. I should probably just not even bring up this topic of a disability in regards to business as what relevance does it really have? The relevance it has is really more on a personal level than anything. I apologize to bring this sensitive topic up and not expect a positive response.

Maybe I am reaching in the wrong place, or maybe this is unprofessional to do this here. It is difficult not to speak of something that has such affect on my life from day to day. I hate these limitations I have whether they are self-imposed or not, they are still limitations.

Someone asked that I post what exactly my disability is, and for me to say what type of disability I have would open a entirely different can of worms, and I am not willing to open myself to the responses I might receive.

The other side to this is that my business is one of my tools I use to deal with my disability, and I have found the topic of disability and work to be extremely sensitive to not only myself but others as well. So why ignore the problem, self imposed or not? Why pretend like it is not there? I open the doors to ridicule and praise, encouragement or disgust, as those doors are already opened.

I am willing to bet that their are others that at the very least will be empowered by this post, if only out of disgust.

So be it.
                                      intechspecial Ranger
                                      Any other persons with disabilities out there?

Anyone with disabilities care to network with me?
                                designer Tracker

I would imagine there are various types of disabilities. There are some people with no arms but put a paint brush in their mouth and still paint beautiful things. If they had a friend with a Web site, then the person with a disability can still have a business and sell their painting on-line.

Someone might be wheelchair bound and can't get around, but be very good at home on a computer as a technical person.

I guess we would have to know what your disablity is and then we can help you from there to overcome or suggest how to overcome your specific barriers in life with a business and what you'd love to do. Where there is a wlll....there is a way!!!!!

Lighthouse24 Ranger

Well, I disagree with the first statement in the initial post -- that "disabled" means or implies "unable to work."

"Disabled" literally means "lacking a power." It doesn't mean lacking every power. All of us have certain powers or abilities, and all of us lack certain powers and abilities.

"Disabled" legally means "having a condition that substantially and indefinitely limits one or more major life activities." Conditions include mobility, cognitive, speech, hearing, and visual impairments.

So . . . a person can literally "lack the power to hear" and legally "have a hearing impairment," and still be quite capable of working (or running a business). Is such a person capable of working at or running every type of business? No -- but then, who is?

Success is all about how well we develop and apply the abilities we have.
                                    SJCarpentry Wayfarer
                                    i think small business is often perfect for people with disabilities. I feel in general like other small business owners will go out of there way to help, and often you can get some early PR, customers etc by marketing that fact. after a while, of course, you have to succeed because of what you offer, but I think it's a great avenue for someone with disabilities. and of course, if you use a broad definitiaion, you may consider that many of us have them - whether it's alcoholism, ADD or whatever.