Post a new topic
    18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 10:32 PM by intechspecial

How do I say Thank-you

MYOB08 Adventurer

An associate and I refer work to each other. Recently he has referred a larger than normal project my way. How should I thank him? Money, note, gift voucher, present, take him out to coffee, subscription to magazine?

What would you like?

The profit margin to myself is about $1000 ~ not huge ~ but appreciated.
        • Re: How do I say Thank-you
          LUCKIEST Guide
          How do I say Thank-you
          You said it ALL. Any of the ones you listed except MONEY.
          An associate and I refer work to each other. You are not his boss and he is not your.
          Hopefully you will refer a project or two his way.
          Yes, Thank him. Turn it around. What would like.
          A note, gift voucher, present, taken out to coffee, subscription to magazine.
          You also will be starting a TRADITION. You helped me, I am rewarding you.
          Next time I help you, I want a reward.
          LUCKIEST
            puzzleman Tracker
            What would you expect from your associate if the situation were reversed? That is what i would do.

Jim
                MYOB08 Adventurer
                What a great forum...you have both added such a good perspective to my thoughts. If I give him a client - and he does a good job there, and it all goes well, I don't expect a gift from him, or money. I feel I have won, in that I have recomended him. I do however have the sour taste of not being appreciated when I have passed work (to others).
                    LogoMotives Wayfarer
                    Whenever I get a referral, or someone does something else nice for me or my business (a reporter interviews me, an editor/writer sends me a complimentary copy of a book or magazine article, a vendor goes above and beyond the call of duty, etc.), I will always send a handwritten "thank you" note immediately. If something more evloves out of the situation I will send the individual a gift card to a bookstore or restaurant, invite them to lunch or coffee, of find some other small appropriate gift to send their way. It's not expected, nor would I expect the same, but it's always appreciated.

Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity | Jeff Fisher LogoMotives
                        dublincpa Scout

In my business, we get a lot of referrals back and forth. Usually, the highest form of gratitude is to make the person look good. If I send someone to an attorney or another CPA, I just want the person to be satisfied. I am very careful in this respect about accepting referrals as well. The last thing I want to do is imperil someone else's relationship with a client.

In addition, thank you notes are great. If you get a chance to return the favor that is also nice. Unless you are looking to establish an arrangement where referrals are individually compensated, I would stick to thank you notes and maybe a birthday or holiday gift here or there.
                      designer Tracker
                      This is really good! I've heard it said that when people give gifts....they are actually giving things that they would actually like to receive. Probably doesn't work 100%, but in many cases.
                      Y Golf Wayfarer
                      Hello MYOB08. I assume you know a little about your coworker. Try to think of something that he enjoys and make the thank you personal. If he enjoys coffee a gift card or pound of his favorite coffee. If he speaks of his family a lot maybe a gift card to a movie theatre so the family can enjoy together. If he enjoys golf maybe some personalized golf balls that say thank you from MYOB08. If you noticed that he treats himself once a month to a favorite lunch may offer to pay for it next month. Something personal that the associate will remember and he will appreciate that you notice some of his personal aspects. But I think the most important Thank You would be a follow up on the progress of the referred client in 3 or 6 months. Hand written of course:)
                      YGolf
                      www.greatgolfdialogue.blogspot.com
                        designer Tracker
                        The most important thing is to write it down and say THANK YOU on a notecard. If you don't shoot an email or say it, it can really leave a bad taste in someone's mouth. Next, find out (if you can) what really thrills him. Maybe tickets to NASCAR or his favorite baseball team. Maybe a pass at an amusement park or zoo. Tickets for a hot show in town. I don't thnk lunch cuts it. Lunch is a normal part of life every day, unless it's truly fancy and special. It's too bad the "he" was not a "she" and then I could recommend one of my handcrafted necklaces in beautiful packaging that all the stars in Hollywood are wearing.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                          I agree with several other replies -- a handwritten thank you note (today), and then look for an opportunity over the next few months to do something equally thoughtful, helpful, or beneficial for your associate in return.
                            Iwrite Pioneer
                            I think Luckiest hit the nail on the head. You at least do what you would like for someone to do for you but never money. I try to give people something I know reflects an interest. I got a lead from a friend who is learning to play the guitar, so I gave him some really nice picks. Once, a person I gave a lead to bought me a comic book, I collect them. I have never forgotten that.

You get the picture.
                              AppleGraphics Adventurer
                              As many people have already stated I would not give money. Bestowing some type of gift may be a nice gesture but the most important thing is to do a great job on the project you received. This will build your associates standing with the client and help build their business relationship, something every business person wants.
                                intechspecial Ranger
                                When anyone does something that helps my company to bring in profit, I try my best to return the favor.

I have found some in business will take advantage of someones good nature.

I have reffered several clients that were needing services outside my scope of abilities to other companies.

Unfortunately they were not as greatful as you, and thought nothing of it. One of the clients I reffered has brought the business thousands upon thousands of dollars.

I did ask for a referral fee, or a return referral. No payment, no referral in return, not so much as a thank you email. Rest assured my next referral will not go to them.

I do not believe a stipen is appropriate unless it was/is requested, but this might be a little unprofessional. Unprofessional if in the form of a cash allotment. There are other ways to pay back financially, without giving money to them.

How is this company doing on its marketing budget? Can your business help them reach thier market?

If so this might be the best thank you any business good ask for.
                                  designer Tracker
                                  What is a scratchie?