Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 6:51 PM by roma1625

Thinking of starting an import business

roma1625 Wayfarer

I have contacts in Italy that have approached me about importing bathroom and kitchen fixtures (e.g. faucets) into the U.S. This manufacturer does not presently sell their products in the U.S., so I would be the first.

I have a pretty good idea of how to import items, but I have never actually done it as a business.

What I would really like to know is how to structure a business to import and sell these products. For example, should I just import and sell to distributors? Should I try to sell directly to consumers through a website? Would I need to have a warehouse and stock up on items? What questions should I ask the manufacturer?

I know these are very basic questions, but my business experience to date is in the service industry.

By the way, this is a very high quality and very stylish product, so it's something I really believe could be a good business opportunity.
        • Re: Thinking of starting an import business
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Thinking of starting an import business.
          How exciting. How soon?? Do you have a Business Name??
          *Tell us more about *your business experience in the service industry.
          Have you developed a Business Plan for this import item, including
          income and expenses??
          Do you have an Accountant?? A Lawyer?? and an Insurance Agent??
          Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE
          *LUCKIEST*<br /
            • Re: Thinking of starting an import business
              roma1625 Wayfarer
              Luckiest, Thanks for showing interest.

How soon??
              Not sure. Just starting to think about it.

Do you have a Business Name??
              Not yet. What do you suggest? Should I use something simple like "my name" Imports?

*Tell us more about *your business experience in the service industry.
              I'm in the engineering consulting business.

Have you developed a Business Plan for this import item, including income and expenses??
              No, I'm just getting started on the idea.

Do you have an Accountant??
              yes

A Lawyer??
              yes

and an Insurance Agent??
              yes

Do you know about SCORE??
              I've seen you promote SCORE on this board and I'm definitely going to try it.