Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2008 12:10 PM by metagistics

Me, an apparel company, and alot of work...any suggestions?

ApparelGiant Newbie
      I am a Big and Tall man who is in the midst of starting an apparel company with an emphasis on Big and Tall brands. Since I am currently the only participant in this foray, I carry the workload. This is not really a problem as I enjoy the work but do realize in order to inact growth i will need some assistance. I typically feel as if I am doing 4 or 5 things at time and was wondering is this normal? Though I typically feel ths way, I don't feel as if I am flying by the seat of my pants. My decisions are logical and risks at this point are kept to a minimum. I guess I am wondering if there is a start-up structure/outline already in place that I should be following? Something that would help to navigate the logistics and other areas of the business, especially pertaining to the start-ups. Or is it a matter of doing the best you can do with what you are given?
        • Re: Me, an apparel company, and alot of work...any suggestions?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          An apparel company, and alot of work...any suggestions
          Yes First welcome to this web site.
          Time to get organized. How can I help??
          How soon will you be starting?? How large a staff??
          Do you have a Location?? A Business Plan??
          Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and helps people
          in business. We love Chicago,
          Good luck, keep in touch, LUCKIEST
          • Re: Me, an apparel company, and alot of work...any suggestio
            AppleGraphics Adventurer
            Giant,

To answer you simply yes it is typical to feel like you are doing 4 or 5 things at once and yes there are outlines out there which you can follow. As Luckiest stated and always preaches everyone should have a business plan and of course SCORE offers free assistance in this manner. If you are looking for help creating your outline I would say this is a good place to start or if you would rather there are plenty of book and online resources out there to help guide you through the mayhem of owning a small business. Good luck and remember to take time to enjoy what you are doing.
              ApparelGiant Newbie
              Thank you for taking the time to assist me. Yes, I have a business plan of which I rewrote 5 times until I and my mentor was satisfied. I have also taken advantage of the services that SCORE provides. The area in which I believe I need more assistance would probably be in the way of organization. I have tried different methods of organization and some were a little too stringent while other were too free flowing, so I guess it is a matter of finding a happy medium. Right now, I have a staff of 3 and definitely plan to start out small so I can get a feel for things before expanding. Initially, I had planned on starting in Dec. ' 07, but the more I researched the more I realized I need to take more time to get it right. I pretty much felt being in a constant state hyper-multitasking was normal. So I guess I might be doing things right. Thank you again.
                metagistics Wayfarer
                Having just got out of the apparel industry, I feel your pain.
                I don't know if you have thought much about distribution, but I'll do a blatant plug for my company to help you out. I know the logistics side, and apparel involves lots of SKU's and inventory. If you decide you need some assistance, let me know
                Randy
                metagisticscorp.com