Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2008 10:24 AM by Iwrite

What is it exactly that you do?

Iwrite Pioneer
      "What is it exactly that you do?"

Most advertising professionals have at one time or another been on the receiving end of this question from friends, family and even clients. Everyone seems to understand what advertising is but they really don't get how it happens. And no, not everyone in advertising does the same job!

In general, we create the message that helps to sell a product or service. Yes, it is that simple. But it isn't that easy to do.

First, we have to meet with the client and learn what it is he/she wants to advertise. Notice that I didn't use the word "sell." When done correctly advertising does more than "sell," it helps people to realize that they have a need or a want for a product or service - we try to generate desire. It is our job to position the product or service as something people have to have. This is the tricky part.

It isn't enough to tell people about the product or service - we have to show how it fits into their lifestyle, how it fills a need or satisfies a desire. This requires an understanding of people and what motivates them. We're talking about making an emotional connection.

No, it isn't rocket science, it is so much more difficult because we are dealing with people's emotions and feelings.

It is like back in school when you were trying to get that special someone to pay attention to you. You knew you were right for them but you had to find a way to get them to realize that you were right for them. No one ever walks up to them and says, "hi, I am the perfect person for you to go to the prom with." You asked a friend to talk you up or make an introduction. It is dating for businesses! We're that friend trying to talk you up and make an introduction, and your customers are the pretty girl or handsome guy - either of who can have their pick of anyone they want. Sorry for the flashback.

This is what makes it so difficult - emotions. Even business people and professionals have emotions. Buying decisions are rarely logical. Most decisions include an emotional appeal.
      "I choose an accounting firm that I could trust."
      "I want a lawyer that instills confidence."
      "I need an insurance agent who honors their word."
      Trust, confidence and honor are emotions. How many pieces of equipment are bought on the promise of no head aches from break downs? You get the picture.

We study the product. We study the target audience. And we take all the different factors into play, and fashion messages that are presented to the masses but have an individual impact. Advertising is this powerful when done correctly. Our goal is to create a message that is so strong, so human that the majority of people hearing or seeing it at the same time come away feeling like we were talking to just them.

We do more than present the attributes of a product or service, we take those attributes and make them human. And the size of your budget doesn't make this happen. It is the quality of the message shaped and presented. It is understanding who you are talking with and what motivates them.

Sure, you can do it yourself, and obtain some measure of success. I can't deny that. I'm not saying you have to work with an advertising professional. I am just telling you exactly what it is I do.

What do you want to know about what I do?

• Re: What is it exactly that you do?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Iwrite, Thanks for sharing so much about what you do and advertising
          There is a joke going around

**My Father,
          The Piano Player

A grade school teacher
          was asking students what their parents did for a living. "Tim, you're first,"
          she said.
          "What does your mother do all day?"

Tim stood up and proudly said, "She's a doctor."

"That's wonderful. How about you, Amie?" Amie shyly stood up, scuffed her
          feet and said,
          "My father is a mailman."

"Thank you, Amie," said the teacher. "What about your father, Billy?"

Billy proudly stood up and announced, "My daddy plays piano in a whorehouse."

The teacher was aghast and promptly changed the subject to geography. Later
          that day she went to Billy's house and rang the bell.
          Billy''s father answered
          the door. The teacher explained what his son had said and demanded an

Billy''s father said, "I'm actually in advertising, but how can I explain a
          thing like that to a seven-year-old?"

I cleaned up the joke and changed the punch line to "advertising".
            • Re: What is it exactly that you do?
              Iwrite Pioneer

I can laugh at myself and my industry because I know the truth.
              I know the causes we champion for free.
              I know the hard work and pride that we put into work that people only see in passing.
              I know the internal struggles and external costs that many of us pay for refusing to work on certain accounts because of our principles.
              I know that we were talking about AIDS, drugs, domestic abuse, racism, child abuse, human rights issues and a variety of other public service issues while other, more respectable industries were silently doing business with those we were fighting against.
              I can laugh because I know the truth.

I wonder if we laid our records of service out for all to see how other industries would stack up?