Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 12:17 AM by Mybizfiler

FIRST TIME IN THE FORUM- I'M STARTING A NEW BUSINESS

Chefnino Newbie
      Hi guys!, I'm new with the community and the forum, I am currently a chef for over 15 years and supervize over 40 cooks where I work, I'm also on my last semester for a Business Administration Bachelor's Degree. I plan to continue with a Culinary Degree from the Culinary Institute of America in New York startingin January.

Although I constantly have friends and family who always want to hire me for their parties, I now made a decision to start my own catering Business but I really don't have any start up cash flow to buy equipment and don't have a kitchen for comercial use for the business, therefore, I can only rent equipment and gather help for any events , but any suggestions anyone can give me to start a Catering Business Succesfully I will really apreciate it? Thanks!!
        • Re: FIRST TIME IN THE FORUM- I'M STARTING A NEW BUSINESS
          designer Tracker
          Hello! Welcome to the SBOC. You certainly seem to know your field well and have a good base foundation. I read a book called "Martha Rules" and this is how Martha Stewart got into business. She started small and catered parties. It wasn't about doing mass quantities, but doing small, unique quality affairs. I would recommend you start in your own kitchen and/or partner with others and do your own special themed doings. You'll get a reputation and build a clientele. Once you become an "expert" in the field, things snowball and the press and media will look to you and charities and fund-raising people will want to hire you. I know you probably want to go for the big bucks...but it takes time. I know I personally hate to cook and don't like to get my feelings hurt when people come over for dinner that they won't like something I make or they are not impressed. I would definitely tend to call someone like you to hire and say I'm having a special get-together at my home to celebrate my jewelery business and I'm having about 50 people over and need some finger foods and gourmet goodies!!!!!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Chefnino Newbie
              Thank you for your reply, It is great advise you have just giving me. I personally am good with "Tapas" and also "Seafood Paella" from Spain. as well as Central American Cuisine such as "Chicharron con Yuka and Tamales" . I bet I can focus my attention on specific themes , I'm sure the clientel is out there, specially living were I live ( Miami, FL). Thanks I will really consider your advise in my adventure.
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Welcome to this web site and the best of luck.
              The Culinary Institute of America in New York is great.
              We plan an outing there next month.
              I am a SCORE Counselor and SCORE helps people in business FREE
              SCORE can help you develop a Business and Marketing Plan
              Best of luck and stay in touch, LUCKIEST

Lighthouse24 Ranger

Welcome to the community.

You might consider searching for and partnering with an existing small restaurant owner (non-chef) who is looking for additional revenue streams. I have seen this work several times, where the restaurant provided the "home base" from which the catering business was built, and then the catering side really began building the restaurant's business.

In one of those cases, a little downtown lunch spot expanded into business catering, which soon led to event catering, and eventually brought in enough business to expand the restaurant into the adjacent building (circa 1920s, very deco style) -- adding an exclusive upscale dining establishment with a large club/bar area that facilitated private parties, wedding receptions, etc.

If you can find an owner with a vision that the two of you can agree on and achieve together, you might be able to do much more as partners than either of you could do alone. Best wishes!
                  TJMorehead Adventurer
                  Hello Chefnino,

Starting a business takes a lot of planning. However, it can fun and rewarding. I'm sure you know you should go to work on a business and marketing plan. For start-up capital, I can certainly assist you that. My company offers a program called the Community Express Loan for start-up and emerging businesses. There is no business plans, collater needed, financial statements requested, etc., I'd be happy to discuss more in detail with you how to apply.

In the interim, visit my profile here on SBOC and my blog page at www.moreheadsconnections.blogspot.com and read "Accessing Capital". We can match the best financing program for business model.

Warm regards,
                  TJ Morehead
                    Mybizfiler Adventurer

Hi,

You can start your own business and can be your own boss. As you a years of experience which makes you easy doing market research and preparing business plan.

Once you have decided to incorporate your business, the next question that comes to your mind is where to incorporate. The first and simple choice would be to incorporate in your home state. We at ICS, Inc, help you to incorporate your business and provide complete incorporation services.

At ICS (www.mybizfiler.com), we, at a very competitive price (1/4th of charges a typical CPA charges) take care of your complete Incorporation Services.

You can reach Mr. Nirmal Jain (Senior Manager) at 469-713-2541 and can mail him @ nirmal.jain@mybizfiler.com, as he is very well experienced and has considerable knowledge in incorporation services.

For more information and details please visit ICS web site http://www.mybizfiler.com/.

You can also visit our informational blog site: http://mybizfiler.wordpress.com/.

Disclaimer: ICS does not offer legal services or legal advice, but only generic information on legal subjects. ICS is not an attorney or law firm and not a substitute for an attorney or law firm