Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 12:34 PM by isoftoss

Reciprocal Linking on a web-site.

designer Tracker
      Hello, I read on a thread: "Never engage in reciprocal linking. Trust me on this one. DON"T"

Can someone please educate me why this is not a good idea on a website or if you agree with this statement? I was always under the impression that if you have a Links page and you feature some of your favorite links and those links link just happen to link back to you, it supposedly helps to raise your site higher in the Google ranking. Please do tell! Thank you.
        • Re: Reciprocal Linking on a web-site.
          lowdose Wayfarer
          I think the issue is that you may not agree with everything a website says that you reciprocate with. Imagine if you had an ethics website and you swapped links with Eliot Spitzer... Watching after these fubars is potentially time consuming. However, I wouldn't go so far as to ditch the practice all together. It's still an excellent way to raise your site's profile. I would avoid blogs, however, which are more subject to the whims of their authors.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Reciprocal Linking on a web-site

A reciprocal link is a mutual link between two objects, commonly between two websites to ensure mutual traffic. Example: Alice and Bob have websites. If Bob's website links to Alice's website, and Alice's website links to Bob's website, the websites are reciprocally linked. Website owners often submit their sites to reciprocal link exchange directories, in order to achieve higher rankings in the search engines.
            Reciprocal linking between websites is an important part of the search
            engine optimization process because
            Google uses link popularity
            algorithms (defined as the number of links that led to a particular
            page and the
            anchor text of the link) to rank websites for relevancy.

websolutions Tracker
              the person who said that must be an idiot--you should engage is reciprocal linking and linking period. I won't go into details but I recommend it, there is nothing Black Hat or Unethical about it, as long as it is relevant and not spamm.

Biz Online Adventurer
                  I agree with Mike (websolutions). Whoever said that clearly doesn't understand links.
                  Reciprocals can be used, it's just so many people got burned early that they didn't understand the rules.

For instance, I have multiple websites. One of my sites has several reciprocal links, but the links are on different pages of my site, not just one long link page. By employing a "less is more" link strategy on a web page, use very few outbound links that are within the same vertical / topic. And a must, use quality keyword anchor text, not just In particular, all links coming into your site should also use quality anchor text - and mix it up, don't just rubber stamp the same anchor text on multiple sites. Can you say semantic indexing? Look it up....
                  Cliff Koraska
                  NatOnline Tracker
                  Well, if you want my opinion, I would say take extra care when linking reciprocal. A lot webmasters ask me to do that and most of the time I refused.

Do to that properly, a reciprocal link must be related to your site, Google says not more than 100 links on the page (I will say 50 max to be safe).

Do not link to site with links farm, doorway pages, etc...because these links will get you in trouble with search engines.

Check the site before linking with this kind of tool: so you can quickly know if the other site is in bad neighborhood.

Remember, the most powerful is a "one way link".

Good luck
                      blitzlocal Adventurer
                      Hey Designer,

NatOnline is right. I worked at Yahoo! until just recently and Search Engine Optimization is what we do. Thoughtful reciprocal links from sites that are relevant won't hurt you. However, they won't help as much as one-way links from sites that have high Google PageRank. There is no shortcut-- don't buy link spamming software or listen to claims about instant #1 rankings from using some automated tool. Search engines can catch those tricks. Yes, we can name a few tools and services that sort of work, but they inevitably get shut down.

And if you are trading links, try to get them into the body of some content, so the search engine can determine the theme. Plus, use good anchor text-- in other words, not "click here". If your business is relevant to the content on that page, you won't be hit with a penalty.

But no tricks. Even stuff like 3 way linking is easy to catch (A>B, B>C, C>A). Unless you are a spammer or playing in real estate (or another ultra competitive category), it's not necessary to do black hat stuff like cloaking. It's easy to rank for local terms and do local advertising--- geo-modified terms such as "denver plumber"-- since you're not competing against many other companies.

Coda24 Newbie
                      This is a pretty old post, but figure I'd chime in anyway. One option, that I think works well, is to sign up with a site such as This allows you to link across like-minded communities/businesses. Not quite sure how Google/Yahoo/Bing/etc. view these links and their relevance to SEO, but they do help drive traffic to your site.....

SEO.SEM.Geek Adventurer
                        Yahoo counts your website backlinks. Yahoo assumes if there are a lot of websites which they have a link to your website you must be popular. So it is OKif they put your link in your website as Yahoo point of view.

Google has different model. Google counts the backlinks also with different weighting factor AKA Page Rank. Google declares if someone with 1,000 visitors in a month give you a link has less valuable than if someone with 1,000,000 visitors in a months gives you a link. So it is OK to have a back link but backlink from website with page rank 6 or bigger has more value in Googol search.

Two way links are in gray area. Yahoo counts them but Google says it seems they are trading the link which has negative factor but it not too easy I just keep it simple.

But as a simple and clear rule if other people linked to your site, if they have strong visitor and reputation also good page rank it is good for you. If you are reputable with great amount of visitors and a strong Google page rank if you give them a link it is good for them.

As a rule ask other people who has reputation and good page rank a link but be very suspicious to give a link to everyone. I hope it helps.

Worse case scenario: you giving someone backlink but it goes to a link farm and you have no idea what's going on. You may banned by Google because you are responsible for your website content and any link inside your website. In this case it may describe as black hat search engine optimization tactics which is forbidden.
                          vnavguys Tracker
                          Here is a different approach that I like to use, Time Management. First of all most people trying to use 3rd party software that sends out canned requests to trade links with your site. Most of the time, this person, the sender, is completly clueless about theme relevancy and their site that sells sunglasses (with no ranking value) has nothing to do with your site that sells lets say power tools. So you have to first stop look at the link, throw up your hands cause its not related and go back to what your doing. If your the sender of that email, you follow the prompts on your program and send out tons of "leads" and then manage the follow up from either the potential responses. If you get some positive response you either post the link on your site or direct your "webguy" to do it. What a waste of time. Here is what I would do instead. Start a blog, in the same time, write a good post and anchor text link a keyword to an interior page in your site. Now you have a killer link right where you want it, that is a better use of your time. Better yet, start 10 blogs on different platforms, build your own matrix of free blogs and social platforms and build some quality.
                              isoftoss Newbie
                              Reciprocal URL is the url or web page which has one or many external
                              links purposely put by the website owner in order to request for link
                              exchange. In link exchange two site owners mutually exchange links so
                              that the crawlers can easily find their websites and both of them will
                              get the benefit.Reciprocal URL is one of the best way for link building
                              because now-a-days many site owners accept for this mutual link exchange
                              program.Few directories are available for the reciprocal url
                              submission. eg.

Mattcutts, the Google spam engineer has not yet openly stated much
                              comments about this reciprocal URL.. Though he states that overly
                              request for reciprocal link exchange is a spam.. he always supports
                              reciprocal url link exchange as that is very natural way of link
                              building that every site owners prefer. ref: