Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 12:32 PM by Lighthouse24

Anyone play music in your store??

poloi3eai2 Wayfarer
      If so do you pay BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC fees? How much a year do you pay in these fees? I'm starting a music programming business for retail stores and I'm just figuring out the cost of the licensing fees. I've talked to some club owners and some of them seem to get away without paying them and others pay a butt load in licensing fees. As part of my business I would like to take car the the licensing so the store does not have to go through the hassle of it.
        • Re: Anyone play music in your store??
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Anyone play music in your store.
          *How soon will you b*e* *starting this music programming business for retail stores??
          Do you have a Business Name?? An Accountant, A Lawyer??
          Do you have a Business and Marketing Plan??
          Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and can help you succeed.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
          • Re: Anyone play music in your store??
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

I think I mentioned this in another post, but you need a blanket license from each performance rights agency for this, and you can contact a rep directly to get a quote.

I'm not sure that the fee individual restaurants or retail stores pay would really tell you anything. I know that when they "program" and play the music themselves, the annual fee may run from a few dollars to several thousand -- because the agencies each have more than a hundred different rates they charge based on literally dozens of factors (hours of operation, square footage, number of patrons, seating capacity, the source of the music such as CD/Internet/live, when music is played, whether or not food or alcohol is served, whether or not there's dancing . . .).

Music programming services always secure blanket licenses for the music they provide -- it's the main reason a retailer contracts with the service in the first place (to be in compliance with the law without having to log/track everything they play and pay all the fees themselves).

Hope this helps. Best wishes.