Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 2:29 PM by Iwrite

Can you share your experience with press releases with us?

NatOnline Tracker
      Hello,

I would like to know if you can share your experience with press releases.

Have they improved the exposure of your business, or increased your sales/clients?

Is this a good marketing tool?

Thank you
        • Re: Can you share your experience with press releases with us?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Yes, yes, and yes! For my business, press releases are probably the most important marketing tool. We do them regularly. Some releases never make it into a publication. Some do, and while they don't always directly relate to an increase in sales, I believe they build credibility and indirectly contribute to sales over time. When I'm lucky enough to have a release that coincides with a current editorial theme or feature story, it can be like lightning striking -- I've seen our call volume and website visits triple for a couple of weeks afterward on a few occasions like that. And all it costs is the time it takes to write it!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            designer Tracker
            Hello. I have done a few press releases in the past 3 years. You can see them through my links on my web site BUZZ page. I used a company called MediaWire. I was impressed with the customer service staff and the individuals I spoke with were very friendly and helpful. I managed to do the press releases on their site fairly easy and all went well. The ratings system they use on the press release content is neat how they score your material and educational and their web statistics are quite interesting as people read the press release and possibly pick it up. It would be worth it to just do one to experience the behind-the-scenes activities.

MediaWire gives you tips and pointers on what makes a great press release like the all-important title and heading, the introductory summary and including some quotes from a source or two. I have only used press releases for significant things pertaining to my jewelry career when I was promoting an injured war hero through my necklace donations, when I entered the retail market for the holidays, when I had a Halloween theme on my web site, etc. I admit, it is difficult to always have a reason to do a press release unless you are advertising a brand new business, celebrating a special anniversary or your business is involved in something absolutely spectacular.

Now the good part....Did the press releases do anything for my career or my business? I would say not. While the press releases helped jump my "Google" rating a bit for several weeks and made my name and web site appear more on the Internet search engines, I can't really say I sold more necklaces than usual. My phone was not really ringing off the hook and Hollywood did not end up calling for me to cover the red carpet and nobody offered me some projects. Oprah didn't try to reach me to have me come on her show and business went on as usual. But it was fun and I enjoyed entertaining myself and it was definitely a great learning experience to try some.
              Iwrite Pioneer
              I am planning on using press releases for the lunch of the agency, but it will be in conjunction with other marketing efforts. I have seen press releases generate a lot of response when, as mentioned before, it is released right when there is some other related story or topic.

I think it is a great marketing tool when used properly. Too many press releases and folks will stop paying attention. Too few and you may miss an opportunity to build credibility. I have seen press releases result in companies being referenced as an expert on a certain subject which improves the companies image with consumers. Is this a direct response to the press release that can be measured? Not really. But to me it is a success. Press releases are a good way to increase exposure without incurring costs. I would also stress building a good relationship with the beat reporters that cover your area of expertise. Be careful to not be too close but a healthy relationship can really help.
                NatOnline Tracker
                Thank you for your answers, it is very helpful to share experiences.

I am in the process of doing a press release, I think it will be a good experience and perhaps attract attention om my online store.
                  NatOnline Tracker
                  Hello,

If someone is interested in my Press Release, here is the link:
                  http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories
                  .pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/04-01-20
                  08/0004784648&EDATE=
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      I read your press release. I like the flow but I was wanting a little more detail on what makes the products special, not a hard sale but a mention of what the lotion will do for me. Give me a tease that will drive me to your site. Tell me something that I didn't know.

The length and flow are just right for me. Nice work.
                          NatOnline Tracker
                          Hello Iwrite,

Well we cannot give a tease on our PR, but bringing the people on our site. Our PR is a succes so far, we've got many more customers and visitors.

It really all depends on what field you are, some people prefer to use articles on their sites rather a press release. To be honest I prefer both.

I also tested the articles directories, and did not find any interest to submit articles for my site, we prefere articles on our site with the correct products linked in the article body. That give more strengh to our e-commerce and we love not only selling our products but also bring great information to our visitors.
                              Iwrite Pioneer
                              NatOnline,

Great! I don't mind being wrong. LOL.

I am so glad you are getting a response. I really like that you are testing different approaches and realizing the importance of providing more than just a product - education makes for an even stronger connections with customers.

I like both too. Have you thought about going to an email option where people can opt in for emails that still have your links? I am seeing some success for that with a couple of clients. We have found the threshold for frequency is about one a month. Customers have agreed to recieve them so it is not spam, and we are seeing a good number of pass alongs also.

Good luck.
                                  NatOnline Tracker
                                  You are not wrong. it depends of what you want to choose best for your business.

We don't want to market our business by emails. I saw many e-commerce being agressive to market deals, coupons, promotion, etc... when I am customer I don't like someone sending me ten thousands sale pitch emails if I don't want to buy the products, I don't buy , If I am in need of products, I will go back where I was if my shopping experience was good.

I tried also Newletters, but it did not work well, and to setup a Newsletter system on my e-commerce, that's another few hundred dollars of programming.

We try to be efficient with what I've got so far, and it is working :-)
                            LogoMotives Wayfarer
                            Press releases are also a major aspect of the marketing/promotion of my business and have been for many years. The resulting press has brought me new clients, established great relationships with newspaper and magazine writers/editors, created situations where I have been quoted in books, and actually led to my first book contract.

Here's a link to my article "The Power of the Press (Release):" http://tinyurl.com/2rwjkr

Some of my past press releases are posted here: http://tinyurl.com/26r4ny

Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity | Jeff Fisher LogoMotives