Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 8:38 PM by BRMcHenry

Starbucks® giveaway for printing company.

AppleGraphics Adventurer
      Hi,

One of my original post on this forum was asking if it would be better to advertise price points or customer service for a printer. Through my conferring with sources on the topic the idea that advertising service plus demonstrating quality is what will achieve the best results. Now that that has been settled the next step was to decide what type of marketing would be done. Being that the only real way to advertise quality in a printing company would be with physical samples direct mail became the number one choice. The final piece of the puzzle is of course how to get people to call us up to receive a quote (the call the action we are requesting in our mailing). Our quotes are of course free but that does not typically prompt people to take action. Typically the answer would be of course offer a 10% discount on the first quote, but this seems to be mundane nowadays. Which brings me to my question would you be likely to respond to a advertisement which promised a free Starbucks® gift card with first quote or do you think that bad reasoning has led me to this conclusion?

If you are interested in the little that is on the web about Apple Graphcis you can find it here
      http://www.applegraphics.net
        • Re: Starbucks® giveaway for printing company.
          F3_Design Newbie
          Hi AppleGraphics,

The first thing I would suggest, before sending out promos, is to do more research and finding out who your target market is, so that you know what they value and how you can win them over. Do you have a target market or are you trying to advertise to everybody in the area? And do you know who your direct competition is?

I'd love to hear more about your business and who your target market is in oder to offer you the most effective solutions. If you want a higher return from your marketing investments, you will need to narrow your focus and your marketing material must be consistent with your brand as well.

For example, ABC's Print Shop might target customers who expect higher quality (color managment, custom paper, and an expert staff) who will be willing to sacrifice turnaround time and pay more, but will rest assured that the colors won't shift and the die-cutting will be perfect. Or XYZ Print Shop will be gang-running most of their jobs and will offer quick turnaround and shoot off promotions ever other week. Each business can be sucessful if they find the right customers.

AppleGraphics Adventurer
              F3,

Are target market is currently Medical and Law practices as we already do business with a decent number of them. In more generic terms we are targeting small businesses which cater to the general public but do not have retail store fronts. We have also thrown around the idea of catering to business which cater to other businesses. We have targeted these businesses because we are most competitive with medium to short run printings and these type of businesses also appreciate the high level of customer service that we offer. Typically we also try to advertise to local businesses because we offer free pick up and delivery to all local businesses.

Our current problem is convincing people to call in quotes to demonstrate our customer service as well as our competitive pricing. Part of our customer service offering is that we will work very hard at making any budget work for our customer needs.
                  F3_Design Newbie
                  AppleGraphics,

I understand. Well, you have a few options in order to get the calls coming in. If you need a short term solution, I would suggest a mailer that really shows off what you can do, design and print-wise. Use some very cool stock images and an unusual size piece. And direct them to "call today for a quick and easy quote" or something that says that you can give them a quote in minutes, not hours or days. Nobody wants to wait. Also mention your track record or satisfied customers. Maybe include a couple testimonials.

Long term, if you don't already, I would get involved with the community. Get with the Chamber or a local nonprofit and sponser an event where you can hand out brochures and network. There's a lot of people who are looking for your type of business I'm sure, you just have to find out what type of events Doctors and Lawyers like to attend.

Also, you can also start up an exclusive promotion for existing customers only. Maybe focus on volume discounts or price breaks for waiting 5-7 days as oppose to 3-5 days. Sometimes people are planning on printing things later but wouldn't mind purchasing it now if they get a discount.

I hope this help a little. It sounds like you're in the same boat as a lot printers nowadays. I have found that the printers that are not slow, and even growing, are the ones who embrace the newest technologies. Like digital printing, web-based software, and "Green" printers. If you can harness one of those, you're on your way up. Good luck. Let me know what you think.

Nic Fierro
                  F3 Design Studios
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      AppleGraphics Adventurer
                      F3,

We already belong to a local Chamber of Commerce and have indeed received a little business from it. I also liked your idea about the "unique" mailer with specific terms and will definitely start working on something along those lines. Apple Graphics is also the proud new owner of a Direct imaging press which is not the digital printing I think you were referencing but is a press which allows very fast turnarounds as well as low cost sort runs (short from a printing stand point).

However, despite all of these pieces I am honestly still confused at how offering a give away is a bad idea for business especially if we are using specifically targeted businesses (we have already purchase a list of businesses we feel will need our services). Is HFB correct in assuming that the offer will seem desperate? If so then why do you see promotional offers all the time in the mail? We thought that the Starbucks card would be a great way to personalize the giveaway appealing to a broader audience as well as in a round about way demonstrating the effort we will go to, to ensure our customer is satisfied with our dealings. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.
                          F3_Design Newbie
                          AG,

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not a horrible idea. It won't seem desperate if you give them useful information rather than just throwing a promotion at them. I understand getting them on the phone is very important and I'm sure the giftcard promo will produce some business if done right. But I'd like to see more come of it.

Announcing the new DI press along with the giftcard promo would be great. The focus is then on saving them money and providing faster turnaround. You can have some old prices crossed out and the new price in bold letters. It looks like you're slashing a lot of your prices that way and saving them a lot of money. And you can add somewhere (small) that it's for a limited time or only applies to certain orders. That way they call to order and if they don't need the listed items, they might still want to take advantage of your new capabilitites. Use words like "New/Latest Technology", or "Save Time/Money" and it'll get a second look for sure, and hopefully a call.

Again, I think focusing on an improvement in the company (with the new DI) rather than the same old company trying to boost business with a promo looks more promising. Wish you the best.

Nic Fierro
                          F3 Design Studios

ssadooghi Newbie
                            giveaways though sometimes positive, can also take away from your credibility. It almost points to a weakness you are trying to cove up with some tacky promo. Think about it this way do you want a client who wants your work, or just wants some starbucks giveaway. I think sometimes it can be effective. I think since you know what sorts of clients you are targeting, the mailer is the best. I would database the potential clients and then work on a media kit, or postcard that will get the attention of these people. And follow up with a call.
                      hfbadvertisin Newbie
                      Hi, don't give any promotional item out for exchange for business. This seems to be an act of desperation. Send out a business reply mailer so you can get feed back. Example. How often to you print? What type of printing? Would you like to receive samples? etc.

State on the business replier that you've printed the BRM, what type of paper, color, gloss, spot varnish, etc.

It is to expensive to send out a sample kit to everyone who is not interested.

Figure out your target demo. If you need help with designing this piece and sales list contact us. Check out our web site http://www.hfbadvertising.comhttp://www.hfbadvertising.com
                        BRMcHenry Adventurer
                        Don't do Starbucks,

If you are seeking local business then find an independent coffee shop. Independents are owned and those people make buying decisions - not Starbucks managers. Just an FYI