Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2008 2:17 PM by NetMarketer

Online Marketing

ALIMALA Newbie

I am an Occupational Therapist who is in the works of developing a website for practitioners. I am trying to determine costs for selling space on my website, but haven't found much information out there, beside 'pay per click.' My background is healthcare, and I don't understand some of the technical terms I've read, as well as knowing how to sell/market/negotiate with potential advertisers. Does anyone have input on how to come up with rates for various sized space, contract plans, and any other helpful information?

Also, any tips on getting advertisers to post ads during the launching of the website? I know this is hard because there won't be any traffic, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Online Marketing
          RongDesign Adventurer
          What space are you selling them? Are you make each one a personal website or just an ad on your homepage?
            NatOnline Tracker
            Hello ALIMALA,

I may be interested, please note that your site will be penalized by Google if you don't put a NO FOLLOW meta tag if you sell advertising. To be powerful enough, your site must get traffic from different sources besides search engines. Your site must get high traffic too.

Good luck
              HotCocoa Wayfarer
              As far as advise for starting out. I would suggest setting up afiliate advertising like "linkshare" or "comission junction" and place advertising from relevant channels within your site. I would also suggest a specific page dedicated to advertising on your site. As far as what to charge for space, this is always a little tricky. There are a lot of variables to consider. How many adslots per page, position, your site demographics -- many a 300 page book can be found on the shelves of your local book seller.

Something to consider is a low early supporter rate. Charge something modest upfront and raise the price x amount with each additional advertiser. This will reward those that help you in the begining and also allow you to see what the market will bare without having to mess around with your advertised pricing. Or if your market is going to be very niche, you may want to charge a similar rate to that of a magazine serving the same audience. These rates shouldn't be too hard to discover as you should be considering advertising within those same publications.

Good luck Alison,

intechspecial Ranger
                Any company that would purchase advertisements on your website would need to know it is worth the money spent.

A webmaster would monitor how much traffic comes from each source. So if someone's add does not generate any traffice they woud know this and would discontinue purchasing advertising from you.

A good webmaster also knows what to look for before purchasing advertising space on a website. One of the easiest ways to get an idea what an add would be worth is to check its Google PageRank, and it's Alexa Ranking. A Google PageRank is Googles way of ranking how important a website is. It goes from 0-10 and also a designation of NR. 0 is the lowest 10 being the highest. A page that has a NR is Not Ranked, and is the lowest ranking you can have.

Alexa ranks websites in comparison to the Billions of Web sites out their. If your website gets to a PageRank of 10, and your Alexa Ranking is in the top 500, you are a guaranteed billionaire.

Here are some links to check Google PageRank and Alex Rankings: Google and Alexa also have options to do an auto check in their browser toolbar.

Finally the best way to think of a website is in the same light of Real Estate. In the same way real estate increases in value over time so does the monetary value of a website.

Real Estate that is built extremely well will of course be worth much more then real estate that is lacking, and the same is true of websites.

Great thing about real estate and websites is this: Once you own the land, you can always tear down and rebuild!

NatOnline Tracker
                    I disagree with you Intechspecial, Alexa is way off in reel statistics and I will tell you why:

Alexa measures statistics only with webmasters/visitors who use Alexa's toolbar, so if your visitors don't have this toolbar that will be not counted.

If you are in the top 100,000 this tool will be more accurate, but will give you only an global idea of your position.

Google PR (Page Rank) measures basically the vote between sites by link building, SERPS (Search Engine Ranking Per Page) is the most important for every pages to your site. You can be PR0 and be in the top 10, PR5 or PR6 on the second page from Google for whatever keywords.

There is more than one tool to measure traffic, Your own statistics from hosting server, eventually a dynamic live statistics program included on your site, Netcraft toolbar, Compete Rank, etc...

Again selling advertising on your site will hurt your site on Google if you don't put a NO FOLLOW meta tag, check this page:
                    NetMarketer Wayfarer

Hi Alison,

To start, I'd recommend visiting sites within your field/area of expertise that you feel are "best in class." Then I would take note of the types of advertising on their site. Is it branding/awareness for a large brand? Or is it more direct response for "As Seen on TV" products like the neverending swimming pool or weight-loss products. Or is a "bop the monkey on the head" to win a Plasma TV type of advertising?

Getting into the routine of walking the shop of your peers and competitors will give you an understanding of the market for your kind of content, and what types of advertising is the best fit.

Remember, advertisers are looking for good content partners so they can drive sales. That being said, don't just give away your traffic to the first bidder or even highest bidder if it is not a good match for your site.

For starters, you may want to setup a Google Adsense account, where Google scans the content of your page and tries to find a good fit among its huge list of advertisers. From a time perspective, this might be more efficient for you than scanning the web and reaching out to individual advertisers.

Once you start to see the types of advertisers flowing through Google Adsense onto your site, you may get the courage to contact a local vendor or someone who seems to be a good fit for your site (if, for example you notice that ads for Tutoring show up a lot on your site). Once you connect 1:1 with an advertisers, I highly recommend a "rev share" or revenue sharing plan that pays you a comission for each product sold. That alligns your interests most closely with that of the advertisers. But be warned, it may be months before an actual sale occurs if the advertiser is not a good fit with your content.

A few more online advertising pricing metrics for your back pocket:

CPA: cost per action/acquisition (similar to rev share, you get paid for driving a customer action like buying or visiting a web page)

CPC: cost per click (you get paid when someone clicks on their ads)

CPM: cost per thousand (m) impressions (you get paid for showing a thousand impressions, or showing their ad to a thousand people who visit 1 time)

Flat Fee: flat upfront fee for a fixed placement (you command a fee at the beginning of the month, with the promise of delivering a large audience to your site to view the advertisers ads).

My last bit of advice to you would be to stay away from people who offer you a few hundred dollars to sample your traffic and then tell you what it is worth to them. That tactic might have worked 8 years ago, but in a modern Internet marketplace you are entitled to know a little bit more about your advertisers business model -- anyone who can't answer "how do you make money" or "what is the user experience" is worth staying away from. Stick with the standard ad models above, and try to help advertisers sell without alienating your audience.

Good luck!