Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2008 12:58 AM by Maniksoft

Advice on sales

Maniksoft Newbie
      Hi All,
      I was always wanted to have business of my own. I invested a lot of money in website, brouchures, equipment etc to give a professional look. My sales have been bleak, I call n call but no response at all. My business is IT consulting and with talk recession, my sales response has gone from bleak to nothing. Please advice what I can do to improve.
      Thanks
      Maniksoft
      www.maniksoft.com
        • Re: Advice on sales
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Welcome to this website. I have TWO suggestions
          Tell us more about your background and how you got into IT consulting ??
          One SCORE. Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and
          SCORE helps people in business.
          They can help you with a Business Plan to help you succeed.
          The other suggestion is to go to Members page and add
          a few words about your and business.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Maniksoft Newbie
              First of all thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding your questions. Please see my response below

I have over 10+ yrs experience in IT, with number of successful projects executed, I can provide value added services to clients in IT, be it custom software development, highly interactive, database driven web application in host of technologies.

With this background I thought all I had to do is find customers for IT sevices.

I started my sales with a sales plan which included buying database of corporate customers with criteria, meeting a typical customer, then I started with cold calling, but I really had very bleak response. Thats why the above post.

Thanks
              Maniksoft
              www.maniksoft.com
                  RongDesign Adventurer
                  One idea I would see is starting a second website, using a simple forum software, and give it a clever keyword-styled web address (i.e. itsupport.org, itconsulting.org). With this website, anytime some one asks for advise, be the first person to give advise. You will earn respect quickly. The more respect you earn, the more the people you have been advising will be willing to pay you to learn more.

Simple advise, but it will help in the long run.

Thank You,
                  Dave Moore @
                  RongDesign.com
                      intech Wayfarer
                      Dave,

I've tried this, but the problem I had was lack of traffic/posts on the forum. So what would you suggest to drive traffic to your website/forum?
                          RongDesign Adventurer

The easiest thing to draw some traffic is to do exactly what you are doing right now. All down time should be spent talking on Blogs, forums, boards, etc. But one thing you are missing in your posts are strong keywords like website design or affordable web design, which I would use for my company. Also be sure to include your web address and business name in every post. I usually do it in my signature but if you have included it in your text, that should be good enough.

I would spend at least 5 hours a week, if not more, giving free advice online. You do not have to go on a big advertising campaign, but alway include your web address and contact information. Even if no one reads your post or visits your website from your post, all the search engines will visit your website off the forum. If it finds it relevant, it will rank it and cache your page for its search results. And if done regularly and successfully you will see traffic rise on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately, if you are not on the first page of a search engine or if your customers arn't showing off your website because of something neat they found, you will not get good traffic. In our line of work, Web/Internet, its almost useless to try to get to the top of the search engines. Your best bet is to post, post, and post. I only suggested the forum website because it has worked for me in the past. I have something similar called www.websitequote.org but I do not promote it, it has enough keywords in its name that I don't have to. If you do make a forum site, promote that website for a while instead of your company website. If you decide not to make a forum again, just do the promoting for your homepage.

Hope that helped; any other questions?

Thank You,
                          Dave Moore @
                          RongDesign.com
                    gnrubin Newbie
                    Maniksoft,

I understand how hard it can be to find businesses that have a need for your service. It isn't just finding the business, it is getting through to the decision maker, qualifieng their needs, building a relationship. The good news is no matter what the economy is doing there is always a need for companies that understand technology. I would like to learn more about you and your business to see what I could do to help you get in front of the decision makers you are looking for. I personally have managed an IT consulting company and have many contacts in that area. Please feel free to go to my website www.ampliusinnovationgroup.com. You can call me @ 314-262-4254 if you would like to learn more about our services.

Sincerely

Greg Rubin
                    Director Business Development
                    Amplius Innovation Group
                      puzzleman Tracker
                      I am not involved with software or IT. However, I am a user of such things. I found my IT guy by asking around to other people and businesses. He stays pretty busy doing what he does by dealing only with small businesses. He doesn't like corporate business (he doesn't dress for it either) but he knows what he's doing.

Back to sales. Everything we do is related to marketing. My favorite quote about marketing is that it is like pushing a car up a slight grade. It's hard to get it started but once it gets going its easier. However, if you stop, you will have to start all over again.

Keep talking to everybody about your business. Be upbeat about it. Talk to other IT companies to see if you can handle their overflow. Talk with everybody who you come in contact with about your business. I do this and get a few sales from people. You never know who you will sit next to on a plane, at dinner or stand in line with at the fast food place.

Keep Pushing!!

Jim