Even if you are a seasoned entrepreneur, the constantly changing nature of the small business landscape – from new communication technologies, to an ever-changing tax code, to shifts in your own industry – means that you must be always alert to the steady stream of news that may affect how you operate your business.
Business blogs can be a great way to keep abreast of developments, to get quick tips and practical advice, and to be inspired by novel ideas and success stories.
Here are six blogs that every entrepreneur or small business owner should follow:
- Seth Godin’s Blog – Marketing guru Seth Godin (bestselling author of over 25 books, including Tribes and the most recent This is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See) posts daily reflections on life and business. Always informative, interesting, and insightful, the topics of his posts range from statements about the future of communication to practical suggestions and witticisms about neologisms.
- You’re the Boss – The small business blog of the New York Times is written by contributors who are all entrepreneurs. Bringing an insider’s perspective to all aspects of running a small business and provides an information-sharing forum for business owners. The blog also includes commentary on political and policy issues, analysis of news events, and suggestions about investing.
- Quick Sprout – Analytics consultant Neil Patel has helped companies like Amazon, GM, and HP to increase their web traffic, but he is, first and foremost, a by-the-bootstraps entrepreneur, named by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of the top entrepreneurs before he was 21. He shares his enthusiasm in a blog whose content ranges from SEO and social media to leadership and communication. Patel also shares best practices based on the work of his two companies, Crazy Egg and KISSmetrics.
- Duct Tape Marketing Blog – John Jantsch’s blog, which gives marketing advice specifically for small businesses, is on practically every must-read list. Considered by many to be the world’s foremost expert on small business, Jantsch posts daily with practical ideas and strategies that are intended for implementation as much as edification.
- Mixergy – This is where to go to hear it straight from the horse’s mouth. Andrew Warner conceives of his website as a teaching and mentoring site. He regularly posts videos of in-depth interviews that he’s conducted with experienced entrepreneurs. You’ll learn a lot from the wisdom shared by the interviewed mentors and from Warner’s incisive questions.
- Copyblogger – This blog has a single goal: to teach people how to write “killer online content.” It’s easy to get lost in a cycle of SEO, social media, and blogging, but Copyblogger keeps you focused on the importance of content in order to increase traffic, attract subscribers, and grow revenue.
- Cayenne Consulting’s Blog – Our own blog covers the full spectrum of issues facing small business owners running “Main Street” businesses, as well as entrepreneurs building scalable ventures that hope one day to be the next “unicorn.” Get advice on topics ranging from leadership and innovation; to industry-specific posts; to crafting your business model, business plan, financial forecast, and pitch deck.
If you prefer to listen to startup advice instead of reading it, here are our picks for the ten best podcasts for entrepreneurs. Please feel free to recommend other blogs or podcasts in the comments below!