Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2019 12:13 AM by hillcallie

A list of questions for a small business

lissetteperkins Wayfarer

I have a lot of questions when i am considering opening a business. The most important one is the legal issues. Things like fair use, copyright, trademarking, and how to protect my business. As a side note i would also like to know how to buy my name and keep it, and how to create products that are based of things like marvel and dc without copyright infringement. I don't want my business to get sued or in trouble right off the bat and i don't really know anyone to ask because no one i know owns a business. Answering any of these questions would be a major help. thank you to anyone who answers~

• Re: A list of questions for a small business
          hillcallie Adventurer

Registering a trademark for a company name is pretty straightforward. Many businesses can file an application online in less than 90 minutes, without a lawyer’s help. The simplest way to register is on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Web site, www.uspto.gov.In some situations, you may make limited use of another's copyrighted work without asking permission or infringing on the original copyright.

Don’t give up hope yet. There are a few possible solutions.

1. Do the Fair Use Check: As we said, fair use is a tricky thing, but it does come with four exceptions to consider, including:
          • The purpose and character of the use
          • The nature of the copied work
          • The amount and substantiality of use
          • The effect of use on the work’s value

You’ll probably be okay posting a screenshot of a site you like and linking back to it, and using just a portion of an image so that it is truly differentiated from the original work. If you have any doubts, run through the four fair use factors again and use your best judgment.

2. Use Creative Commons Material:

Creative commons licenses are public licenses that allow creators to have some control over how their material is used, while still offering it freely to the general public.

3. Join a Stock Photo Site: Stock photos are much like creative commons images, except that you’ll pay for the license. T

4. Pull from a Public Domain Repository: Works that exist in the public domain once had copyrights, but now they’ve expired or have been forfeited

5. Just Ask the Owner: Many image copyright owners will be honored to have you use their photo, just as long as you ask first and

attribute them properly.

Thanks

Dimehub - We help businesses create online presence