Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2018 8:35 AM by Moderator Cath

When Should You Start Applying for Post Graduate Jobs?

senperfect Newbie

Ahh College; you bring a tear to my eye. You’ve taught me how to make a 20-dollar bill last a week, what the perfect pepperoni to cheese ratio truly is and how to throw the perfect party. So much knowledge, so little time.

Wasn’t there another reason why I wanted to go to college? Let me think. Yes, it was that little three-letter word called “job” and l wanted to learn how to get one. That’s it! That’s why I went.

After the party is over, the hangover is gone and the feeling of searching for something more has set in, most college students often wonder when they should start to apply for post graduate jobs. For the skimmers of the world, the nutshell answer is this: Start applying during your senior year, the sooner the better! Those that want to have a game plan, read on to learn some practical tips that will help you land a job after college.

Start Early

When it comes to landing a job post graduation, it’s important to know that it is never too early to start applying with research paper writing services. Ok, let me back this up. If you are a college freshman, sophomore and even most juniors, it’s probably too early to apply; but there IS something you CAN do.

If you’re a motivated underclassman that is determined to land yourself a job post graduation, you should spend your early collegiate years networking with business in your dream field. How does one do that? Glad you asked. Use your social media powers to create a LinkedIn profile and join groups that interest you. Introduce yourself to the world and be of value. On your college campus, join clubs and organizations in your field to give you a leg up on the competition. The key is to make a name for yourself in your desired field; it’ll make applying for jobs much easier on you when you become a finding-a-job-anxious senior.

Apply Apply Apply

If you want to know when you should apply for post graduate jobs, the best rule of thumb is your senior year. You should dedicate at least one hour every week during your senior year to look for job opportunities and apply for open positions. Obviously, the more jobs you apply for the better, but use your time in your senior year to research companies and see where you fit best.

A Note on Early Recruiters

Certain jobs, especially those in large corporate business, often have early recruitment periods. I’m talking about jobs in finance, accounting and even certain sales positions. Business is not the only field that participates in early recruitment; practically every field with competitive corporate programs participates in some form of early recruiting.  That being said, I encourage juniors to start to apply for these opportunities. Do your homework on your potential employer to see if this is applicable to you. If you play your cards right, you can land a summer internship that can possibly turn into a job

A Note on Late Recruiters

Where as the corporate juggernauts tend to do early recruiting, smaller business tend to focus on late recruiting. During both semesters of your senior year you should send out applications to smaller business and also attend local career fairs. The key here is get yourself considered for as many opportunities as possible if you want to puthttps://web.archive.org/web/20160314093829/http://community-hero.org/when-should-you-start-applying-for-post-graduate-jobs/ to good use. Again, the name of the game is to apply to as many jobs as possible to give yourself the best opportunity to land a job.

• Re: When Should You Start Applying for Post Graduate Jobs?
          Moderator Cath Guide

Excellent tips, senperfect.  I applaud those who search for and find internships in their desired fields in the summers and before graduation.  Getting a head start on learning the ropes is definitely a plus and often those internships lead right into a full time job after graduation.  Also internships let the intern get a 'feel' for the job and possibly point them in another direction of work to apply for if they find that it is not what they really want for a career.

Cath.