Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 6:33 PM by Moderator Rebecca

Special Needs Center

vburley81 Newbie

Hello , I'm currently in process of getting information on how to start up my own non profit day center for special needs.  I would like to open a facility where people can bring there loves one to while they can work , have time to do the daily task and have sometimes to them selves. The purpose of the program, is to enlighten the young people of how to be a little independent . Like a work study program and give them, a chance to be around other peers. There are a lot of families have to to put  things on hold, or hire sitters to be with their love ones . There is even a few people loves one can't not attend to other facilities due to they can't handle a highly functional individual. Therefore I would like to offer a center to whom are in need. And the individual would have meals and snacks  though the day , go on trips and etc. I would like to offer services to high school age up to 30 of age. Im  not if its a facility in Gastiona NC area.

• Re: Special Needs Center
          Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi vburley, welcome to our community!  A day care center for people with special needs certainly sounds like a much needed service to your community, and it's great that you want to help provide this care. 

The first thing you should probably due is to check with your state and local government offices to find out what specific types of licensing and permits that you may need.  The National Council of Nonprofits will help you answer some questions about nonprofits.  You can find more information at: Frequently Asked Questions About Nonprofits | National Council of Nonprofits .  You should also check the IRS website for non profit rules.

Have you created a business plan yet?  A business plan is essential for any new business, whether it's a for profit or nonprofit business. If you're not sure where to start, we have an excellent guide available that will be helpful in that process: Guide: How to develop a business plan.

I know this is a lot of information at once, so please let us know how things progress and if you have any additional questions.  We have a great community here who will be glad to help!

Cheers,

-Rebecca