Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2018 6:27 PM by moderator_lisa

Family members or friends working

Moderator Cath Guide

I have been overhearing some discussions from family friends about an issue they are having.  They, kindly, hired a family member to work in their business.  They felt family pressure to do this but they went ahead and hired, to keep peace.

Now that family member is just not working out.  They have attempted to gently train (re-train) but that is not working.

What suggestions do you have?  I understand the underlying family issues but should they terminate or try, once again, to re-train?  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Cath

• Re: Family members or friends working
          moderator_lisa Pioneer

That is such a sensitive situation, it will require strength and tact to be able to manage it. I would recommend a sit-down review to go over expectations, victories, and challenges, on the part of the company and offering the employee an opportunity to share their feelings on the topics discussed. That way, if termination becomes necessary, there is a resource with all the necessary information right there in black and white. Having a clear cut set of guidelines can help eliminate personal feelings on both sides.

Good luck to your friends with this challenging situation.

--Lisa