Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2018 6:09 PM by moderator_lisa

Shipping is killing me!

nortonhart Newbie

I have a game board start-up, and because my initial capital is limited i can only manufacture 1000-pieces, which really will not return a profit.  Would Kickstarter help get capital so i can buy more manufactured pieces and improve margins?

• Re: Shipping is killing me!
          moderator_lisa Ranger

Welcome to the community, nortonhart, I'm glad you found us. Feel free to take a look around the forums, check out the articles, and join in wherever you feel comfortable. You may want to check out the Community Guidelines so you're aware of what can cause posts to be removed, and tell us more about yourself and your board game project on Introduce Yourself.

Kickstarter campaigns can be a great way to bring more attention and funding to your project, but how well it works can be largely up to you. I did a little searching, and I found two articles that are relevant to your situation. Check them out, see if they help answer your questions, and feel free to provide a little more information so our members will know best how to help you. 

How Small Businesses Can Use Crowdfunding to Grow their Companies

The Do’s and Don’ts of a Successful Kickstarter Campaign

Best of luck!

--Lisa

ccexpert Newbie

Did you build in room for cost overruns? What's your breakeven and what's the point where the endeavor is worthwhile? (rhetorical question) Don't manufacture anything until you know the answers. You can either get preorders by making deals with retailers (hard) or using Kickstarter or similar (still hard). You'll still have to get the eyeballs of over 1000 interested buyers. The best part about crowdsourcing is you validate your product in advance and don't go broke creating a product nobody wants.

Moderator Rebecca Guide

This is some great advice, ccexpert, and you've asked some great questions!  Hopefully, nortonhart will see your post and let us know how things are going and the answers to your questions   Crowdfunding & kickstarters are an excellent suggestion.  As both you and Lisa have suggested, they can provide valuable input on expanding or starting a business before a person has put too much money into an idea.  I suggest reading the articles that Lisa provided, as they will provide valuable insight.

Thank you again for your forum contribution, ccexpert.  We hope to hear more from you - and about you - soon!

Cheers,

-Rebecca

nortonhart Newbie

Dear all,

Thanks for the support.  I have been taking as many Score workshops as possible to better answer your questions.  There are of course several business plans:  The long slow way by slowly increasing inventory based on sales.  Fast marketing by involving a non-profit that can foot the bill for the rights to the product.  Kickstarter.  Or, other large publisher take-over.   1000-pieces at $35ea + taxes and shipping has a margin of 48%.  Any less and more capital would be needed to get to the next iteration (i.e. 2000).  At this point, I do not know if $35ea is an acceptable price. It will be good quality, and at least I will get a sales history to see if this endeavor is profitable.  Alternatively, a few prototypes for Kickstarter may show demand as ccexpert suggested.  There is a Sore crowdfunding meeting in March.  And, I need to find out more about the tax repercussions. I will keep you updated. 

Norton 

moderator_lisa Ranger

Thanks for checking back in, Norton! It sounds like you're working in the right direction. How many prototypes have you currently produced? You mentioned a very limited run. Have you considered doing any test marketing in local businesses, like coffee shops, waiting rooms, or restaurants/bars? It might be worth the expense of leaving a demonstration model in a few places around town, supplying an info card and potential ordering/support info, and asking for opinions from people who play it.

Is this something you would consider? Do you think it might be a good way to expose your product to a wider audience in a real life environment?

--Lisa