Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 6:25 PM by moderator_lisa

Making the most of the summer season

moderator_lisa Pioneer

Summer is a great time for team-building and networking. Many companies have picnics for employees, some include families, and some even open the doors to the local community, which maximizes the opportunity for growing the company inside and outside simultaneously. Events and adventures a company could book for their team include white-water rafting, mountain climbing, hiking or biking, and even volunteering with a local charity can help build a stronger bond between the employees and management as well as benefiting the local community.

What types of activities have you participated in, and do you feel there were benefits beyond a day away from the office? Any drawbacks, or stumbling blocks to consider before trying to plan a company-sponsored event?

--Lisa

• Re: Making the most of the summer season
          Moderator Cath Guide

Hi Lisa, hope you don't mind me tagging in.  When I read your post I immediately thought of something very similar in my part of the world.

The large electric company here decided to sponsor a day in the community, doing various jobs: painting, helping prepare meals, helping at the Food Bank, small repairs, etc.

It began with some of their employees joining in.  A few years later they opened the invitation to the community and now a few years even more, there are THOUSANDS of community member joining in on hundreds of opportunities!!!  Playgrounds are being painted and cleaned up, homes for the infirm and elderly are getting new steps to their homes, cemetaries are getting weeded.........and on and on.

It only takes one person with an idea who shares with another and miracles happen!

Cath

• Re: Making the most of the summer season
              moderator_lisa Pioneer

Hi Cath! I absolutely don't mind you tagging in. I love this idea. Our local communities are becoming more and more involved in events like this, and it makes me happy to hear when companies join in. It can be such a wonderful way to connect with your local businesses, non-profit organizations, and neighboring citizens.

I really hope to hear from more business owners about ways they're involved with their local community restoration projects.

--Lisa