Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 8:27 AM by moderator_mel

Big No Nos When Being Interviewed by a Potential Employer

moderator_mel Tracker

Be very careful when sitting across from a human resources person. Put away your nerves and focus on how you want to sell yourself. Here is a list of what hiring managers don’t want to hear:

X No profanity. It’s not professional, keep things “PG” until you’re more comfortable with your bosses and co-workers.

X Be humble. Don’t be over zealous and make statements like, “I’m too dedicated to my job, everything else takes a back seat.” Or “I’m an expert in this field”. Statements like, “I’m never challenged enough” won’t help you get hired either.

X If you haven’t updated your blogs or web pages recently, don’t include them in your interview. Your employer will see that you’re not committed to your endeavors.

X Try not to pry. Don’t ask things like, “Are you pregnant?” Or, “Do you have grand children?” A bruised ego will not impress.

X Refrain from talking about your old job. Leave out the “I left because the environment was toxic.” Or, “My boss was insane.”

X Do a little research. Find out about the company before making statements like, “Where’s your home office?” or “What does your company produce?”

X “I prefer to work alone” cannot possibly help you score a manager position. You’re only as good as your team.

X Asking about vacation policy tells your interviewer that you’re already thinking about taking time off work.

X Know what position you’ll work ahead of your interview time. Don’t show up late or too early, punctuality shows how eager you are to work.

X Ask questions. Even if you’re crystal clear about everything that has been discussed, ask about the organization. Find out about other careers within the company and if there is room to grow.

What do you look for when interviewing new employees? ~Moderator Mel

• Re: Big No Nos When Being Interviewed by a Potential Employer
          moderator_mel Tracker

Also, I found these (that pertain to employers) to add to our list:

X No discrimination against persons with health issues or disabilities. Refrain from asking potential employees if they smoke or if they have any diseases.

X No questions about Religious beliefs or sexual orientation. This is considered discrimination and if you have more than 15 employees, it’s required by law that you comply with the Americans with Disability Act that was approved in 1990.

X Don’t ask about arrest records. Even if the position includes traveling.

X Avoid asking generalized questions. Use questions to get to the point and learn more about your new hire.

X Keep away from yes or no questions. An open-ended question gives employees the chance to explain themselves.

X Try not to say too much. Sometimes, over explaining the candidate you’re looking for can backfire.

X Job humor is fine sometimes, but take into consideration that the new hire you’re talking to doesn’t know you and may not understand or find you funny.

~Moderator Mel

juliastaromana Wayfarer

" Ask questions. Even if you’re crystal clear about everything that has been discussed, ask about the organization. Find out about other careers within the company and if there is room to grow."

When I was still looking for work, this was the thing I had the most difficult time doing. I felt like if I asked questions maybe they would think I didn't do enough research or if I asked about opportunities for growth they might think I'm not really interested with the job I'm interviewing for. Is there a way to ask these questions in a way that doesn't seem like you're asking for too much?

moderator_mel Tracker

Thank you for your response! I agree, it can be difficult to ask questions during an interview. In my opinion, I don't think asking if there's room for advancement shows that you're not interested in the position that's available. I would suggest a bit of research online before heading into your next interview. ~Moderator Mel