Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2017 6:35 PM by moderator_lisa

Introduction-

loragael Newbie

Hi, I am new here and interested in starting a small non-profit organization.  A group home for pregnant teens and teen mothers. This organization will also offer educational and support systems such as: tutoring, child care, transportation, life skills and parenting resources to the residents and eventually- the community at large.

This has been a dream of mine for over twenty years and a property may be available in my area that is perfect for this. Now, it is the time to step forward and make my dream a reality.  I am starting from the very meager beginnings and would be grateful for any advice, leads and the like... Please feel free to give me any tips during this journey.

Thank you so very much...

• Re: Introduction-
          Moderator BethM Navigator

Hi loragael,

Welcome to the community!

We have many members here representing many different types of small businesses.

Feel free to browse around the community to see the experience they have to offer, asking questions you may have as you explore.

Please also take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the Community Guidelines

Thank you,

Beth

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi loragael!  What a great idea!  Have you put together a business plan yet?  If not, that's the first thing you'll need to do, and we have a great guide available that will be helpful in that process: Guide: How to develop a business plan.

Once you have that complete, I suggest you check with your local chapter of SCORE.  S.C.O.R.E is an organization made up of business executives and entrepreneurs, They offer free, confidential counseling and education on almost any subject that a small business owner may need.  They also provide mentoring for you and may be aware of various other funding outlets available for your business that you have not thought of..

And as Beth said, please browse around our expert articles and member discussion boards.  Feel free to jump in and ask questions.  We have a great community here that will be glad to assist.

Cheers,

-Rebecca

moderator_lee Tracker

Welcome to our community, loragael. It's great that you found us. I also agree with Beth and Rebecca that if you take your time looking back in our discussion forums you'll find an arsenal of information that can certainly be helpful at the various stages of starting out with your NPO. I myself have found this quite useful, even once the business is established since the learning does not end.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post them and we -- and our members -- will be happy to see what feedback we can offer.

Regards,

Lee

moderator_lisa Pioneer

Hello, loragael, and welcome! What a wonderful way to contribute to the community. Once you have your business plan, attorney, and accountant in place to help guide you through the process of starting your NPO, my next suggestion would be to reach out and connect with other agencies in your area that provide similar or related services. They may be able to provide insights and leads to help get your name out there and grow your client network. Good luck!

--Lisa