Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 11:09 AM by asset1900

How do I open a business account with EIN but no SSN?

humboldtian Newbie

Has anybody encountered this problem before?

Owner of an LLC is not a US citizen and does not have SSN.

How can s/he open a business account with just the EIN?

Online application requires Owner SSN. Is there an alternative solution?

Would paying a visit to local BoA branch solve the problem of having no SSN?

• Re: How do I open a business account with EIN but no SSN?
          LUCKIEST Guide

Welcome to the Community.

Not the answer you are looking for, BUT

anybody going into business should retain an accountant, a lawyer

and a banker.

Ask your lawyer.

Good luck, LUCKIEST

fpaulo Newbie

Hi there,

Sorry for responding rather late, but I see that you still have not received a satisfactory response on this forum. Here is how it works:

Any business registration requires a SSN to be linked to so that the liability and security matters are linked to the SSN owner. Since you do not have any, you need to find a person who has one and is willing to partner with you into the business even if the person does not get actively involved. You could still own majority stock of the partnership, and there has to be a partnership agreement in place (you need to consult a lawyer on this). The business can initially only be registered in the residential state where the SSN owner resides. Should you require to move states, you will be required to find another person in that state who will be willing to stand for you, but this time, you will not go through the entire registration process again. You will be expected to comply with the state laws of this new state.

This is a highly simplified explanation. should you require a more detailed information, feel free to call me on 929 499 4384 or drop me a mail as I will be glad to share the info with you.

I hope this helps

Moderator Cath Guide

Welcome humboldian!

Although I am not the one to answer your question, I feel sure some of our community members will welcome the chance to share their expertise with you.

In the meantime won't you go to Introduce Yourself and tell us some more about yourself and the business you have in mind?

Cath

stinson77 Adventurer

To my knowledge you will a SSN, the EIN is secondary or vice versa. To be able to do business they have to validate who you truly are. Seems to be to fight a new thing they started to stop funding of terroism.

artur33 Newbie

If the owner's visa is still valid , they can go to any BOFA or other banks who have the foreign account branch and open an personal checking with their foreign passport. After establishing an relationship and an active account, then you open a business checking account. In the meantime I had an customer who obtained an Tax ID # and had no SSN (basically what you should do, any place that asks for SSN you simply input the TAX ID #), and he was able to open a business checking account and even a credit card processing. It is like same way , that you don't have an TAX ID ,just obtained an DBA as Sole Proprietor , any place that TAX ID is required , you simply are using your SSN instead , so the same way you have to do for your case. The suggested bank, would be BOFA. Please  Keep me posted from your outcome.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                    beth@ready2inc Wayfarer

Hi humboldtian:

You can obtain an EIN without a SSN by faxing the SS4 form to the IRS.  It takes about 4 business days to obtain the number.  On the line that asks for the SSN enter foreign.  Make sure the form is completed, signed and dated.

We have many foreign clients and have no problem obtaining an EIN without a SSN. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi !  You've received some great advice here, and we just wanted to follow up with you and see how things were going.  Please feel free to update us and ask any additional questions that you may have.

Cheers,

-Rebecca

asset1900 Wayfarer

It looks like you're just starting.  I suggest not to hire accountant, bookkeeper and business lawyer.   These are all business overheads you don't want to be in right away.  You can explore possibilities of hiring a bookkeeper once the business is up and running.

As much as possible you have to do things on your own since it's a learning experience.  I was trying to think when I registered a DBA/Fictitious Name if a TIN (Tax ID Number) was a substitute to SSN.  After you get the DBA you can already apply for EIN.  The bank checks the certified seal at the back of the DBA form.   If your name is for example ABC Services get a DBA on this name.  Attach DBA with your EIN to apply for a bank account.