Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 5:55 AM by goolclub

Social Media Marketing - where to begin?

moderator_lisa Pioneer

With so many options available for marketing your business, how does a new business owner narrow down which one(s) to use? Is there such a thing as too much cross-promotion? If you use your Twitter to point to your Instagram, which contains a link to your Facebook feed, where you've posted a snippet of your blog post along with a link to the post itself, do people really continue to follow that chain, or do they drop off somewhere in the middle? How does someone trying to grow their business focus their energy on promoting it through social media? What would you say is the most important thing to consider when deciding which option is best for your business?

• Re: Social Media Marketing - where to begin?
          moderator_lisa Pioneer

I thought a little bit more about this question after I posted the other day, and I realized each of the social networks I've mentioned have their own niche as far as marketing goes. A tax accountant, or a repair plumber may not benefit as much from an Instagram account as a chef, a landscaper, or a finish carpenter, for example. What are your thoughts? Are there any businesses which would not benefit in any way through the use of social media?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            adalda Adventurer

Hi Lisa,

You raise an excellent point. Many businesses cross-pollinate their social channels with similar or duplicate content - if for no other reason than to save time.

Social Media marketing should be designed to engage, inform and stimulate followers, customers and potential customers. However, if that community is peppered with the same content, then your business loses its appeal on social.

"Content is king" and so taking the time to vary, and distribute original material pays off in the long term with increased engagement and hopefully - increased conversion.

Best

Chris

Adalda Corp

moderator_lisa Pioneer

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Chris. I think you hit the nail on the head with your definition of the purpose of social media. The next step, it would seem, is in creating content that accomplishes that purpose and still helps to promote your business in an on topic way.

For those of you with service or product oriented small businesses, what types of posts do you find are most successful in promoting your company? Tips and tricks, guest posts, giveaways? Social media is so rich with possibilities it's fun to hear what works for others.

videopete56 Tracker

Hey everyone glad to be able to share

social media is very generic let's start with facebook very much a force to be reconned with I call it the back yard barbecue everyone is looking at pictures videos and commenting on cool stuff,be part of the conversation but also try to be original if you're an accountant keep it simple and send people to your business/fan page to see pics of your office and staff also share some cool tips on retirement savings or tax tips to save money nothing to crazy just enough to have them interested enough to call you for a consultation.FYI paid search on facebook is very inexpensive and a great tool to get new customers and build a list.

Twitter is faster and more crowded 140 characters  kinda like going to a bar lots of conversation and fast moving different message videos and images good here link to offers or a website or landing page.

Pinterest a great platform also for images

Hope this helps

moderator_lisa Pioneer

Hi videopete, and welcome to the community!  Your descriptions of the different social networks provide great insights about the general environment particular to each one. I particularly like Facebook as a backyard barbecue. The more friends you invite to invite friends, the bigger the crowd will be. Especially if you're serving up tasty content.

Thanks for your input! Feel free to take a look around the rest of the forums and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. We'd love to learn more about you and your business, so we hope you'll stop by Introduce Yourself and tell us more.

Sameera Khan Navigator

I would never prefer to make your audience to follow any chain to reach at the place where they are looking for. That might frustrates them and force to leave your channel.

While working on any new project, I always prefer to choose one social media as a primary one. Though, I update every other social media channels, but keeping and focusing on one for generating sales and bring traffic should be a good and effective choice. All one need to do is to analyze the right and pick right social media channel that can help you gain audience attention and results.

moderator_mel Tracker

Thank you for your response, Sameera.

What’s your preferred method of analyzing demographics to find the best social media arena when it comes to marketing to your target customer? How do you find that specific social media niche that compliments your business? ~Moderator Mel

Sameera Khan Navigator

Hello Mel,

Usually, I start with two three main social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn etc. I work on them with same pace by applying my social media strategies for 5-10 days. within days, I easily analyze and judge the right platform for my target customers.

The type of response I receive on these social media channels becomes answer to my query of finding and choosing primary social media channel to clients' business promotion.

Hope this helps! For further, feel free to ask

goolclub Tracker

I will be sharing my honest outcome from different social medias. As of today's market choices , Number one on my list would be Google AdWords | Google (PPC) Pay-Per-Click Online Advertising , since you get hot leads (people who are ready to act), in other mean your marketing content doesn't reach to the people who may be or may not be interested in your offerings , instead you get clients who willingly performed the specific product or service that may offer and the success of closing is fully based on your contents. Obviously if they clicked on your adpage and find the perfect match then you got a deal. So from my experience conversion to close is much higher from Google PPC than from any other used sources. That is why is very important to put extra effort on getting as many positive customer feedbacks as you can, don't overload your pages with a lot of banners, links from affiliates , try to keep your products,services as easy understandable for consumer as possible( use short and very targeted contents to deliver right message ). Time to time change the wording , locations and see which was more successful. Pay attention on more profitable days of the weeks ( Google analytics will source you all that) and after spend more money on your slow days so you can kind of manually balance stability. I guess i have got so excited and might annoyed some of you , since I'm sure a lot of info I wrote most probably was mentioned in your earlier posts. Sorry...Social Media Marketing - where to begin? !

arkhanian1989 Pioneer

First of all it all depends on the nature of the current business that you are in and your target market,demographics and competition.All of the above marketing methods are already proven their success for many small and big businesses. But the key to the success depends on many important factors that if you don't follow them no matter what you do you may fail. So my advise to you is  before doing anything, first find out your needs,disadvantages and most importantly your advantages as far as compared to your existing competitors. So the easiest way to start is to determine your budget for marketing , next thing would be to do little homework and find out average cost of each qualified lead from all of the above mentioned marketing sources, then figure out your projected revenue from  each qualified lead. For instance, it may cost you $30 to get an qualified customer through Facebook, but the goods you are selling are ranged from $5-20( it means even though the campaign will work for sure) you are not gonna be able to profit. And the other hand you can do mass mailing for 0.50-$1 per flyer and hoping to get 1 customer out of 10 which will be at least a good start up for you. On the other hand if you are lawyer,realtor,doctor or in other high paid profession obviously for you Facebook might be better choice.

goolclub Tracker

I agree that without having an ideal picture of your set goals you may have higher failure rate. Also in 21st century so easy , to have a clear picture of your expectations before spending any money on any marketing. One of the good example is this small community with big support of actual people experience. By the way this is my first day in here and I'm already very exciting. Thank you for all of your advises.

arkhanian1989 Pioneer

Also I would like to suggest to all small businesses before starting an social network marketing campaigns, to find out their abilities of being able to handle double,triple or more business after going public online. In other means if you won't be able to satisfy your new customer's questions and needs you might have an negative impact on your company's new image(bad reviews)since i believe in the theory of First (impression,experience,satisfaction). So the best way would be to try it small and different tactics first,  before going massive,also you will be able to get ready on upcoming changes and impact on your busines.

yuzbekova Scout

That's exciting I would love to be able to reach out to our customers like that and won't mind adding to our team. I believe in first impressions as well.

yuzbekova Scout

I totally agree that every business needs and targets are different from others. So no matter what we suggest we can't give as accurate advise as the outcome of their own tested contents, materials from the specific network's outcome. The other method i use before starting any campaign is that I ask myself a question , that if i was the customer and looking to make a purchase or need help with specific proffesions, Where would I be looking for it, what did i like and didn't like during my research, what differences would of made my experience easier, faster and of course more profitable for me, then based on my answers to my questions i usually come up with the most successful strategic campaign.

2 of 2 people found this helpful