Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 5:59 AM by Monika

Choosing hosting

clarckson Adventurer

I'd like to ask experienced webmasters to help me in choosing a host to order cloud hosting for e-shop.

I have found ViUX.com hosting deals. What do you think of them? What host is better from your points? Why?

• Re: Choosing hosting
          Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi clarckson!  Welcome to our community!  You ask a great question regarding cloud hosting for your e-shop.  While I can't recommend one option over another, I think there are some great points that you need to keep in mind while making your decision.  Our team at Touchpoint has put together a couple of great articles that I think you will find helpful regarding your decision:  The Benefits of Having Your Head (and Data) in The Clouds and Cloud Computing: The risks and rewards of moving your data offsite.

I'd love to hear what experience and advice that our other community members have to offer you regarding your cloud hosting options.  We have a great group here that I am sure will be chiming in!

Best of luck to you!

-Rebecca

hillcallie Adventurer

You can never get the right web host without knowing what you need. So before you go any further – put everything aside and think thoroughly on your own needs.

• What kind of website are you building?
              • Do you want something common (a WordPress blog, for example)?
              • Do you need Windows applications?
              • Do you need a special version of software (ie. PHP)?
              • Does your website need special software?
              • How big (or small) can the web traffic volume go?

These are some of the basic questions you need to answer for yourself.

Have a quick picture of what you want to do with your website now. Figure what happens next for the next 12 months.

If you are totally new…

For newbies, the no-brainer rule is to always start small with a good shared hosting account.

A shared hosting account is cheap, easy to maintain, and sufficient for most new sites. Plus, you can always upgrade to VPS or dedicated hosting in the later stage when your site grows bigger.

Thanks,

HillCallie @specfinance

Monika Adventurer

Cloud offers a plethora of benefits. You need to first assess your requirements and then move accordingly. There are several cloud hosting provider in the market that will host your e-shop. However, there are some other considerations you should follow while making the decision:

- years in cloud business

- reviews, feedbacks and testimonials about their service

- security mechanism and their certifications such as SAS, PCI

- cost including support and other hidden fees

- geographic reach

- data storage location i.e. where your data will be stored?

- service down-time, and data recovery mechanism

- service level agreement, in case your data will lost

- support availability

- scalability of resources, if needed

Hope that helps,