Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 10:32 AM by clarckson

new start up

patti Adventurer

We are planning stage to start a thrift store, we currently have rented a storage unit to sell online to raise funds to rent or purchase a store.

We are female and I am also a senior. 

My question is should I get a fictitious name or a LLC while in the storage unit.  also, read that we could get a mailbox so we can move forward getting the business name and using that address till we are ready for the store. 

Have been considering making it a non-profit so anyone donating can receive a receipt to write off on taxes.

Appreciate your response.

• Re: new start up
          LUCKIEST Guide

Patti, Welcome to the Community.  Two suggestions::

Hire an accountant and ask the accountant your business questions.

Write a Business Plan. The Plan is like a road map to success.

Good luck. LUCKIEST

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi patti, welcome to our community!  Thrift shops are becoming more and more popular these days, with their customers ranging from those on a tight budget to those looking for old, unique, or period pieces.  The first decision you'll need to make is if you are going to be for profit, or non-profit  If you are non-profit, and partnering with a church, or other community organization they will gladly assist you in the process, as there are various regulations and forms that will be required for non-profit status.

If you decide to open as for profit, you would proceed as any other small business start-up, starting with a good accountant to advise on the best status for your business to register under.  Since you mention you are a senior, one of our business experts, Steve Strauss, has written an excellent article that I think you will find helpful.6 tips for starting a business when you are a senior.

Please feel free to let us know what you've decided and ask any additional questions you may have.  We have a great community here that will love to assist you in your journey!

Cheers,

-Rebecca

helkhalil Adventurer

Greetings:

I will think about establishing an LLC. Based on your email, I think you will need more planning and consultation with business lawyer or your CPA.  Check the following link: http://elkhalillaw.com/if-i-incorporate-my-business-would-my-assets-be-protected/

Good luck.

michaelxh Tracker

The other users are right – you'll want to consult with a lawyer when you legally incorporate your business. It never hurts to incorporate early. For a primer on business structures, see this comparison of LLCs, S Corps, C Corps, and Partnerships. LLCs have become very popular among small businesses, and for good reason: they're very flexible, and relatively easy/inexpensive to set up. Could also consider a general partnership, though you won't have the same liability protections. For a retail business, that isn't always as much of a concern.

clarckson Adventurer

yeah, I agree with the others.