Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 6:34 PM by Moderator Rebecca

Visibility for my business

jcobankco Adventurer

In February of this years I started a shipping business that includes processing Fedex, USPS and just also included DHL. We also do provide, Fax, notary copies mail box rental and money orders and money transfers. we are located in Central New Jersey.

But I have had problems with showing up on the Google searches for any of these services even though I have a well built  website.

I am trying to work with Google and paying money but I have not seen any positive change as yet.

Can any one tell me how to better approach this. When I search, I see service providers from the smallest to the biggest out side of 20 miles redius but my location does not show.

Will appreciate any help offered.

• Re: Visibility for my business
          f2ka07 Scout

Hello jcobankco ,

Please do enough research on Search Engine optimization to learn how it could be implemented in your website.  You need to analyse the first page search results displayed by Google using your target keywords and try to have a better SEO than those pages. If you are able to do that, you might find your website at least in the first page of the search results after about 20-30 days. Make sure you apply white-hat SEO strategies. If you want to hire someone, make sure it is someone with experience on the new algorithms employed bu Google in 2015.

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi jcobankco, welcome to our community!  You've already received some great advice from f2ka07 regarding the importance of SEO in gaining visibility, which is very important.  We think you'd find several of our articles from Steve Strauss helpful as well E-Marketing 101 and Advanced E-marketing.

As you've learned,  there are a lot of ways to promote a business now.  eMarketing is a must in the world of small business marketing. These articles take an in depth look at the options you have in your eMarketing toolbox:

Google continuously updates and changes their algorithms so it is important to stay on top of those as well, as f2ka07 pointed out. Although this is an older article, many of the things discussed by our experts at Touchpoint are still applicable.  Be sure to keep up to date on What Google’s New Search Algorithm Means for Your Small Business.

We have a great community full of helpful members, and I am sure you will continue to receive some great advice from them.  Please be sure to let us know if you have any questions along the way!

Best,

-Rebecca

morris_barrier Adventurer

If your business just started in February this is the first of several reasons your page currently has no ranking.  Unfortunately, high Google ranking is both slow (like a crock pot!) and does not occur by accident.  So many things affect page rank.  In no particular order:

1.  Quality, authoritative website

2.  Fast loading website, responsive to mobile devices

3.  No broken links on your site

4.  Links from directories back to your site (citation)

5.  Good content (blog much?)

6.  Social media (Google + is of most importance here but Facebook, twitter, yelp are great....pick 1 or 2 you're best and go for it!)

Regarding Google...how's your reputation?  Do you have reviews?  Do you respond to them?  Is you contact on Google correct?  Hours, pics, location, etc.

You can pay Google or Facebook for ads, there's nothing wrong with that but it won't get you real rank.  There's tons of resources out there.  Don't get overwhelmed.  There are professionals who can help also but creating an engaging online presence, especially in the social media realm is certainly something you can tackle!  You have a business that probably relies heavily on word of mouth.  Use that to the fullest on Facebook.  Everybody needs to ship something!  Good luck! 

seanm1 Scout

Make sure your website is local SEO friendly, to make customers find your business you should; use google my business, submit your business to local directories such as the yellow pages, manta etc and make your citations are up-to-date.

Also

Keywords are important make sure you add them to pages on your website, so search engines can see that you a  xyz company that sells products cupcakes in  new,London.

jcobankco Adventurer

Thanks to all those that have taken some time to respond to my question. I am currently adopting some of the suggestions and will report back the results.

How long will be the ideal waiting time before we can start expecting results or any return on the investments to accomplish registrations to directories.

seanm1 Scout

Listing your business in directories provides a good return on investment by helping you reach potential customers, and but most importantly it helps grow your  organic SEO and Local SEO in google.

The ideal waiting time would depend's on competition in your area and who is doing is conducting your Local SEO, if competition if low should take a couple weeks. if competition is high a few couple months.

One important thing you should know about is Citations for local SEO, Citations are a key factor in local search rankings. Citation related factors make up 25% of the top twenty factors when ranking  in search engines.

What is a Citation?

A citation is any mention of your business out on the web, with or without a link. It can come in various forms:

Business Name, by itself.

Business name & phone number.

Business name, phone number, & address.

Business name, phone number, address, & link.

How to submit a Citation?

Visit each local directory listing to claim and update your business information such as your business name, phone number, address, hours of operation, and photos. Your business should always have accurate

Name of some directories you can try

1. Superpages

2 Whitepages

3.Hotfrog

4.merchantcircle

5. New Jersey Business Directory | Local Listings & Businesses

donnasduncan Adventurer

jcobankco,

Have you seen positive results yet? If not, I'd be happy to take a look at your website and listings to see if anything jumps out. I am a seasoned SEO. Just reply with the name of your website and location (city, state).

Moderator Rebecca Guide

It sounds like you've been very busy incorporating all of the great advice you've received jcobankco!  Just thought I'd check in with you and see how things are going.  I know we're all looking forward to seeing your finished product of your updated website and visibility!

Cheers,

-Rebecca

simo Adventurer

you dont need to go to to much trouble here .if you have a website add it to your google webmaster tools and verify it . whether you have a site or not this next step is pretty important-  build a g+ business page , verify the listing with the code google sends you . hey presto a google maps placement when someone searches for a local business offering your service .i dont know how big a place you live in but as long as there are less than 7 competitors in your area you will show up in the first set results . i hope this helps .

Jon Lee Adventurer

Hey Jcobankco,

I wouldn't recommend paying for Google Adwords if that's what you're doing to try to get your site to show on Google. SEO takes months to build. The best thing in your case right now is actually to create a Google + account to immediately alert Google that you're a new business in town, and you should start ranking in the business listings when people search directly for your service + location.

Seanm1 makes a great point about citations- that's the next step to help local businesses rank higher on Google. Physical locations rely on citations to rank higher in Google search.

As for just building brand awareness and giving Google even more of a reason to rank you higher, I suggest that you start with on-page SEO optimizations first, a few of my favorites being:

Moz's Beginner's guide to SEO

Rabbut's Beginner's guide to Mastering SEO

both of which are valuable sources to help you get started. You don't need to be paying money right for on-page optimizations as they're not that difficult to do. If you have any more questions, let me know and I'd be more than happy to explain more about how SEO works.

Thanks!