Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 5:42 PM by Scott

Phone and Internet Service ???

Mike Finch Adventurer

Where do business owners go to find good deals on internet and phone service ???

• Re: Phone and Internet Service ???
          Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi Mike!  Welcome to our community!   As you realize, reliable and affordable communication networks are an absolute must for any business owner, but even more so for certain types of businesses. 

Let's start with some questions that will help us guide you in the right direction.  What type of internet services are you looking for?  You should never sign up with any Internet provider unless you do your due diligence and find out the features they're offering in their subscription package.  It’s also important that any connection provide enough Internet broadband and router security for you to conduct your business on.  This is especially true if you plan on using the internet for online financial transactions of any sorts - such as an online websites or domains for sales of your products, or online or mobile payments for your service.  

If you are running a brick and mortar business, will you be providing free wi-fi for customers?  This requires additional due diligence and security that you will want to discuss with both your prospective provider, as well as your IT department (if applicable).

Please let us know more about your business and your intended uses and volumes, and I know our great members will be able to offer additional advice to steer you in the right direction.

We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

Cheers,

-Rebecca

Mike Finch Adventurer

Rebecca- Thanks for you quick response !!! We actually sell an Hosted IP-PBX system for business and have wholesale prices for internet, plus Free phones. But I have always wondered where people went to find their phone and internet services. Whether they just google it or hire a phone consultant, ask others etc...

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Sorry for the confusion in my response, Mike.  It looks like you're well on your way to having a successful business in the telecommunications industry, which is an integral part of a making any business successful.  As to your question, the items I brought up are things that I believe are absolutely paramount to any business owner, and should be part of their search to find their phone and internet services.  Having said that, I believe that the decision on who to call initially to have those discussions, are usually weighted heavily on word of mouth from trusted friends and business colleagues. While there will still be many who will use consultants or Google, nothing takes the place of hearing about performance and experience from a current (and satisfied) client.

I am sure some of our other members will chime in.  I'd love to hear their experiences and criteria for choosing a vendor.

Cheers,

-Rebecca

Scott Navigator

Hi Mike, (one of my childhood friend's name back in NY was Mike Finch)

I'd definitely test Google PPC but it's probably a very crowded market and if you don't know what you're doing, use a pro because you can lose your shirt.

You'll want to do keyword research, set up proper bidding, split test ads and headlines, set up different ad groups, use a high converting landing page and set up retargeting along with a lead bait and a solid conversion funnel.

The other way is good ole direct mail. It works. Many businesses detest the phone system/company they're currently using. This would require a targeted list, some good copy writing, a way to make sure it gets into the decision makers hands and a follow up system.

Of course, every step in each of these plans have their own idiosyncrasies and idiosyncrasies to the idiosyncrasies but I hope this will help you get moving forward on the right path. 

Good luck!

Scott Becker

Mike Finch Adventurer

Thanks Scott- Any PPC is too costly for me.I do have Google Places and being found under my keywords. But my question was not how to advertise, but where or how do business people like you find your telecom solutions. Do you use Google, a consultant, the yellow pages etc.... ????

Scott Navigator

I personally used Google. The Yellow Pages phone book is dead but a very few people may search the online Yellow Pages. I don't know why though.

Consider this: You're not really in the business of providing internet and phone service, you're in the business of marketing your internet and phone service. That distinction is what makes the difference between a business that might, or barely survives and a business that thrives. I learned that from one of the greatest marketers on the planet and it makes perfect sense.

That's why my response included marketing suggestions.

Scott