Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2015 9:31 AM by Moderator Cath

Is it a good thing to be like other business owners?

Moderator Cath Guide

Steve Strauss' latest article: What is the one thing that the best small business owners have in common? Well those, who are successful appear to have many things in common.  Anyone who wants to step their business up to a new level should take time to read (and digest) this article. 

I'm sure you won't be terribly surprised to see that many of the success stories revolve around great employees!

Read this article and pat yourself on the back for all the things you have in common with these successful business owners.  And why not consider adding some of the other perks in this article?

Cath

• Re: Is it a good thing to be like other business owners?
          jonathan nzali Scout

Yes, being dedicated hard workers goes a long way especially when coupled with great leadership

michaelxh Tracker

Of course! People tend to emphasize different things small business owners can do rather than the big things the best ones have in common. Great employees are crucial, especially as a small business grows from a micro operation to something a bit more potent. One of the keys to small business growth is identifying and working with the best employees possible.

Moderator Cath Guide

Thanks for your comments, Michael.  Do you have some suggestions for, not only finding the best employees but for holding on to them?

I encourage everyone who would like to share some of their tips/comments here too.

Cath

michaelxh Tracker

Honestly the biggest factor to holding onto employees is pay. I saw in one recent study that many young workers feel more comfortable looking for new opportunities than they do asking for a raise! Extra office features and amenities are nice, but most employees are more worried about what they bring home at the end of the week.

Beyond pay though, it helps to look at what the individual person needs or wants. If a person really wants to move ahead in their career, offer them new responsibilities and opportunities. If someone really wants more time to spend with their family, why not figure out how to make that happen? Frustrated employees don't like to stick around. Be proactive.

Moderator Cath Guide

Thank you for your comments, Michael.  While I don't totally disagree with you and I think that money is a very important factor in an employee's decision to stay or move on, I think that there are two other sticking factors.  We would be crazy to say that money is not important and maybe the most important part of a job, at the end of the week.  But what gets us through the week?

A purpose that we can visualize and recognition for our work!  All jobs, well maybe almost all, have a good job description.  But as we progress with our company that job description begins to bend to our talents and skills.  Being able to see the new job normal is vitally important. 

Satisfaction in our work is (too me) essential too.  And how can that happen?  Many ways - but an employer can be core to this!  Often just a word of praise or asking an employee to share some of the work that was involved in a project can go miles and miles.

Any additional comments to add?  Feel free to agree or disagree with my post.

Cath