Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2008 4:07 PM by ndp125

    Is registered Agent required for S-corp in local state ?

    ndp125 Adventurer
      Hello all,
      I am planning to start S-corp along with my wife as a partner. This is consulting business so we are doing it from our appartment. We have a P.O Box address and for legal address we are providing legal address to a company who is incorporating business "bizflings"

      Now there is an option for me to choose the bizfilings company as a registered agent. Do I need that option ?
      To my understanding it is more helpful when you are incorporating in a state different than your hometown. When you require mail to be forwarded etc.

      Is there any other benefits for my scenario (Health Care consulting business for two members) ?


        • Re: Is registered Agent required for S-corp in local state ?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          125, I do not have a direct answer to your question, BUT have other questions for you.
          How soon are you planning to start S-corp??
          Do you have an Accountant??, Lawyer?? Insurance Broker??
          Anybody in business should have professional help.
          Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE.
          • Re: Is registered Agent required for S-corp in local state ?
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

            A registered agent is almost always required if you're incorporating in a state other than the state you reside in. If you are incorporating in your home state, however, you can be the registered agent (in most states). Some business owners choose not to do that and pay the annual fee for a registered agent service anyway. A couple of reasons include: 1) you have to provide a physical address for service of process, and that address becomes public record -- a registered agent can provide his/her address, and then ignore all useless communication and unsolicited visits that come from people who see that a new corporation was registered and got the address that way; 2) if you move to a different apartment, you'll have to file with the state to change your corporate address, and that involves time and a fee -- if you move often, it adds up.

            A lot of registered agent service package a virtual office with phone system, a mailbox with forwarding, and resident agent services for one annual fee. Check around to see if the price you're being offered is competitive or just an upsell.


            Congratulations on your new business, and best of luck!