Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 9:50 AM by Moderator Ilona

What's in a Name

LUCKIEST Guide

Having the right name for your company or product can dramatically increase who buys from you

and how much you charge.

Or said another way, the right name can more than double or triple what you can charge

and the public and or your clients will be more eager to purchase your product.

LUCKIEST

• Re: What's in a Name
          Moderator Cath Guide

I agree with you, Luckiest!  I fear that, in the excitement of forming and establishing a new business, not enough thought goes into the naming of the business.  What appeared to be a good fit at that time, doesn't always seem to fit as the business grows.

I'd be interested in hearing from others:  tell us the process you used to name your business.  Did you go for something that tells about the business, i.e. Bill's Auto Supply Co.?  And how long did it take you to finalize the name?  Or did the name come first and then the business?

Cath

chinadave Scout

The name of the business should not leave any doubt as to what you are selling or doing.  Name should stand out from others as being unique.   Keep it simple and direct without trying to be fancy.  Use  part of your own name IF it fits the above to make it more personal.  Janet's Cleaning Service....not Kawalskis Cleaning Service. A simple name that is easy to remember.   Make sure you put a photo somewhere connected to the name too as that gives it a more personal touch.  People like to connect a face or name with a company.

Moderator Cath Guide

Good advice, chinadave!  When I see a company name that makes me wonder what the company is all about, I seldom click on the site.  Make it clear what the company is about, more people will check it out.

Cath

chinadave Scout

Cath:  Thank you.  My company,  Interlake China Tours when I was working on the name came from my checking other names of tour companies.  Most started with the name   "China" ......  So to stand out since I am only on the internet I wanted a first  word to be different.  A simple word was  "Interlake"  which happens to be the street that I live on.  Interlake meaning "between two lakes"   However my big mistake was not checking with the Chinese as "Interlake" translates in Chinese as  "In the Lake"   :-)     Oh well that was 26 years ago.  When I first started with Google Search engine I was on their first page for almost two years when  "Tours to China" was entered into their Search Engine.  Then they started with Pay per click....started out about 35 cents per click for that popular word search.  Still stayed on the first or second page.  Then they started raising the cost and last time I hear it was over $7.00 a click and I dropped out  before that.  Only the mega companies can afford that.  I now rely on word of mouth from my many past clients.  Four years ago I started a BLOG which really works well and have had over 56,000 page views of it and of course it is linked to my web site.   The name is easy to remember and tells you exactly what I do.   My blog name is  "Reflections of 25 Years of Travel in China"   That name infers that perhaps I have many insights and information for would be China Tourists.     Dave

Henry Scout

Agree! Name have a big factor in business. The first thing that people notice whenever new business come in their town or advertise is the name then, curiosity will come in their mind. They will go to that place to answer their curiosity. When they get amased about your product and service, they will recommend your business to their friends and family.

Moderator Ilona Ranger

I agree Henry, if the name is not catching enough people will probably not take the time to find out what the place is about. Or if the name says one thing but has nothing to do with what you are selling, its going to make people wonder if you know what you are doing. So it pays to put some thought into what to name your business.

Ilona