Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2015 2:15 PM by seoservicepro

Complete Guide to Creating Effective Web Pages

seoservicepro Ranger

guide-us-old-webmaster.jpgEveryone wants to create perfect web page. There is no end to the advice and tips you can find about this topic and many of them are very good.

However, they seldom include both search engine optimization, marketing, lead generation and sales all in the same place. So you pick a tip here and one from over there and do your best to improve the web pages you build.

I'm writing this post to compliment one by someone else and to help you gather these tips together into a guide you can actually use.

I just read their post and it's great. You should read it first, then come back to read this post and between the two posts, you'll have a complete guide.

This post and the one I'm sharing with you is going to give you actionable tips that you can use, so bookmark them or copy the text from both and save it in a document.

Right click and open this link in a new tab so you can come back and read this post.

The post is called;

10 Tips for Designing a Web Page That Looks Great and Ranks High

by Navneet Kaushal

When you get back, here are;

10 Tips for Making That Good Looking, High-Ranking Website Generate Leads and Sales

1. Navigation

Don't depend on your top or sidebar navigation to get people to go where you want them to go. Use calls-to-action in the body of the text, like; "Click here to see how we can help you with Conversion Optimization."

2. Images

Create original images rather than using stock images. Our website is a month old, so we haven't done this yet. it's okay to use stock photos to get your website launched, but replace them with images that are perfectly targeted to the content on your web page.

At a glance, your visitors should be able to identify what your page is about from just seeing the graphic.

If you use images, like; landscapes, cityscapes and other pretty things that do not relate to what you do, your bounceback rate and conversion rate will both suffer.

The use of a button for read more, learn more, buy now, subscribe, etc. can also be more effective than text links.

In your blog, stock photos are fine as long as they match what you are writing about and can be an affordable way to keep your blog updated. However, remember, you'll be sharing your blog posts on social media and those images need to catch people's attention.

If you know how to edit them or have someone who can do it for you, an original image will improve the click-thru rate from social sharing.

3. Speaking of Blogging

Don't bore your visitors. You may think you aren't doing this, but let's ask a few questions;

Are you using high-quality images in your post?

Do those images tell the reader what your post is about at a glance?

Do you write really long paragraphs? This is one of the most common mistakes people make when blogging.

You may have a PHD in English or an expert at writing business letters and know all the standards like how many sentences should be in a paragraph.

Throw all of that knowledge away to become a better blogger.

Your eyes look ahead of what you are reading, while you are reading.

If someone sees the next paragraph is really long, they suddenly remember all of the other things they could be doing. If it's another short paragraph, the mind says, well, okay, I have time to read a little more.

Next, remember, your blog is not for selling anything. It's a pre-sell. Your website closes the sales. Everything else you do, blogging, social, etc. are all the pre-sell.

Get people interested by telling them a story, teaching them something, helping them find something they want or need, or entertain them. Let the web page you link to from the post close the sale.

When you go to an auto dealership, someone is there to show you around, let you pick pretty colors, play with the radio, and let you take a test drive. When you find something you are interested in, they take you to someone else to negotiate the deal.

Social media and your blog show people around and get them interested in something. You website negotiates the deal.

4. Responsive Web Design

Make sure your website is appealing to users on all devices and that everything works on those devices. Not paying attention to this is becoming one of the largest reasons for bounceback rate and will cost you sales.

6. Web Page Content

As I wrote about in number 1 about navigation, your best calls-to-action are going to be the ones you place at the end of paragraphs or withing the body of the text you write.

There are three types of people who visit your website;

The first type knows exactly what they want and are already interested by whatever method you used to get them there.

They spot the image. They know they are in the right place. They read your first paragraph, which should summarize what the page is about in very few words. Add a call-to-action for them. They're ready.

The second type needs a little more information before making a decision. They see the image and it looks like the right place.

They read that first paragraph and get more interested. Give them another 2-3 paragraphs that break down the first paragraph into more detail. Add a call-to-action for them. They're ready.

Make sure you do not say the same thing as in your first call-to-action. If they didn't click it the first time . . . Each call-to-action down the page should say something different.

The third type is going to read everything you wrote before making a decision. They may check your about us page and other info as well. The rest of the text on the page is just for that type of person who really wants details.

Give them what they want, then, you guessed it, Add a call-to-action for them. Anyone who gets that far and doesn't click isn't a buyer or they may return if the information was really good.

Get to the point already; You don't have to put all of the details in one page. Make it short and sweet where possible. Don't waste their time.

As I wrote above, give each type of person what they need to make a decision, but don't go overboard and tell them all about your processes, methods, color choices, sizes, etc.

You can create a simple popup or a link to a more detailed page if they really need all that stuff.

Just don't let it get in the way of closing the sale or generating that lead. Most people just want to know you're capable of providing the service or product they want and don't need long explanations.

7. Social Media Icons and Links to Your Blog

Do not put your social media icons at the top of the page. As I wrote in #3 about the content; Your website is there to generate leads and close sales.

Your blog, social and everything else is to get people interested enough to visit your website.

You spend money and time to get people to finally click-thru to your website and you want to send them to your Facebook page? Really?

It's the same with your blog. The idea is for the blog to send traffic to your web pages, not the other way around. it's like telling your visitors; "Forget about buying anything right now, I'd rather you read my blog posts".

Did I mention; Do not put your social media icons at the top of the page? Put them in the footer. Put them in the thank you page they see after filling out your forms.

If they made it to the footer, your three calls-t-action didn't work. If they made it to the thank you page, they did. Either way, it's fine to send them to your favorite social media website.

8. Relevant Keywords

Stop obsessing about this immediately. yes, ranking your website in search engines and getting organic traffic is important, but let's try a little exercise;

1. Pick a page with a service or product you offer that you want to write about.

2. Make a list of the top 10 key phrases you'd like that page to rank for.

3. Write 500 words of content for that page without using any of them.

You can't. Write to your visitors. Talk about how your product or service solves a problem for them, helps them do something, as well as other benefits that will appeal to them.

You'll end up using your keywords more naturally and in a way that users actually search for.

Let Google take care of Google.

9. Your Phone Number is a Call-to-Action

It should be on every page if you sometimes close sales by phone, rather than by email or other methods. Most, say 99% of websites should have a phone number. It evokes trust.

Also, instead of always saying something like; Contact us using our really really friendly contact form, try "Request a Call Back" or something else.

10. It's Not About You. Get Over it

The biggest mistake companies make is thinking they are supposed to build a website about their company. It isn't about you.

Your website is about the problems your potential customers have and things they need or want to find or learn about.

Write to them. Write about them. Write about how your services or products help them. Explain it like you would explain it to a friend.

Quit being so self-important and so professional. Make it personal. Talk to them and make them your friend and they will trust you and buy from you.

Your about us page can be all about you. it's why there is an about us page.

I see so many websites that get this wrong. Our company is the best, We are wonderful, everyone says so, look! we even got some awards! Aren't we great?

Would you buy from someone who talks all about themselves over someone who talks to you about your problems and how they want to and can help them?

The best tip I can give anyone who is doing any kind of marketing. BE HELPFUL

Conclusion

Make your website more friendly. Talk to your potential customers, not at them. Use calls-to-action within the body of your web pages and vary them. Use your blog and social media networks to get people interested and trust your website to close the sales and generate the leads.

Think about how they arrived at your website and make sure the page flows from there. If they got there because you posted about a problem they may be having, make sure when they come to your page that it picks up the conversation from there.

And consider it a conversation, not some acronym filled, technically-detailed, keyword stuffed content that attempts to make you look important. make your visitors the most important people in the world and tell them why you want to and how you can help them.

1 more tip: Use the Power of 3. Read about that on LinkedIn here.

Hope this helps. There are probably other great tips I didn't think of when writing this, so feel free to share more tips in the comments.

• Re: Complete Guide to Creating Effective Web Pages
          Moderator Cath Guide

Wow, seoservicepro - and all this info in one (well, two) places!  I wonder why no one has thought about distilling all this information in one (or two) places. I realize takes some time but I think you have created a very valuable resource and even pointed us to another, complimenting list, too.

I am sure everyone would agree that having an effective website is important to their business.  And if we asked them for some resources, they would finally admit that they had to search around and find a tidbit here and another one, there - no longer.  So you sat down and created this resource for all to read - thank you so much for taking the time to do this.  Now I hope everyone will, first read your article and then copy/paste it for reviewing AND for sharing with another!

Cath